"Enna ne, shopping elam nala enjoy paniya?. Naan yepadi thapichean pathiya?"

"Vara vara nala poi solra. Oru naal iruku unaku", Jeeva smacked him lightly on his shoulder and got up.

"Seri naan poi kai kaal kalivutu varean."  he said to no one in particular and he turned back to Kathir

"Unaku theriyadhadhu illa. Pathu nadandhuko da. Avalavu than soluvean"  and left.

Day before Pongal 2021, Pannai Veedu

On Wednesday, brothers were busy unloading stuff at Pannai house, when Kathir got a message

Naan panai veetuku than kelambitu irukean. Anga athai kita solidariya? Dhanam akka phone yedukala

He smiled on how she finally decided to visit.

Naan vandhu pick panikarean. Ivalavu dhooram auto'la vara venam.

Illa parava illa Kathiru. Naney vandhukarean

Sonna pecha kekara pazhakamey kedaiyadha? Veyil jasthiya iruku. Nee iru, naan varean.

After sometime, Kathir picked her up. On the way, Mullai felt jittery. This was the first time she brought something for her athai and Dhanam and was not sure if they would like her selection.

"Kathiru, indha saree athaikum, Akka'kum pudikuma theriyalayey?"

"Adhu elam kandipa pudikum. Amma romba sandhosa paduvanga" , Kathir assured her.

"Unmamiya?" Mullai was worried if her athai would find it tacky and loud.

"Pudikum", he affirmed her. He saw her continue to frown. She took her hand from his shoulder and inspected the saree again in the bag.

"Pesama athaiku indha sivapuku badhil pachai onnu pathomey, adhu yedutu irukalamo? Adhu avangaluku inum edupa irukumnu ipo thonudhu"

He was literally rolling his eyes while riding his bike. When she got no answer from him, she tapped his shoulder

"Unna than kekarean!"

"Nee pudavai nu paperla ezhudhi kudutha kuda sandhosa paduvanga. Romba kolapikadha", he mumbled.

Now it was Mullai's turn to roll her eyes and she kept quiet rest of the ride.

Kathir dropped her in the entrance and left for the shop after Mullai assured that she would be fine going back alone and he did not have to come back to drop her.

As soon as she pushed the door open, it creaked loudly indicating that it was not used much. The fresh smell of air welcomed her. It has been years since she last stepped foot here and she was happy to see nothing has really changed. The walls were covered with pictures of her great grand parents, grandparents, her parents and her athai and mama. Near the entrance was a small room that had a personal desk that her grandfather used while writing or reading newspaper. It remind untouched. Flashes of her childhood days made her nostalgic. The whole place screamed home to her, making her heart hurt on how their families drifted apart.

"Anni!", a voice brought her back to reality.

"Dei, Pongal vazhukal da Kanna! Periya manushan phone kuda panna neram ilama busya iruka pola?"

"Ada nenga than epo panalum, accounts pathi pesarenga. Bayandhu than panala"

"Adhu sheri. Nee College pass panna mathiri than"

"Adhu elam paniduvean. Kadasi varusham. Inum konja masathula pattadhari. Pathu nadadhukunga", Kanna argued with her again.

"Poda poda. Modhala degree vangu, aparam patadharinu peethikalam"