12. Safe House

"Haha, it seems like you still can't get my name right."

"What are you talking about Sir Kariah? Your name is something that's always in my mind."

She faked a small giggle, playing along with whatever both of them had. "Oh, greetings, Captain Kaeya. I'm sorry I didn't know both of you have something to do."

Y/n shook her head, trying her best to smile friendly. "It's fine, Ms Lysafia. I'll see you soon," she greeted, changing her gaze to look at the man.

"Please wait a second, I'll come back in a minute."

"Of course."

She left them, walked back to the room for staffs. Kaeya and Diane were left alone, unfitting silence overwhelmed them, until one of them spoke一"She seems not to remember you."

He still managed to smile despite the fact something hit him right through his chest. "Is that how you see it, Ms Lysafia?"

She pursed her lips to a smile, daring herself to step closer to the captain. "It's a shame she quickly broke off her friendship with you just for a necklace."

No.

She did not.

She didn't break off their friendship because of a normal jewelry.

Or that's how Kaeya wanted to believe. "I'm sure Y/n has some other reasons." Playful hummings came from Diane's throat, stepping closer to him. "I heard from her father she has frequent memory loss. Or maybe she doesn't want to remember things?"

He shook his head once again, slowly rejecting her. But, did she really not remember him? Not even the slightest bit?

Afterall, he had been waiting for a year where they were reunited after again. Seemed like luck wasn't on his side for a while. But that wouldn't be the reason he's going to bring up.

Yet一just why would she keep a secret from him? "Ms Lysafia, please reconsider your words."

She let out a soft chuckle, before backing off from him. "Alright, man's love is scary."

Smile was still formed, yet the eyes were uneasy. "Ms Lysafia, just to let you know. I'm not一"

"Alright, let's go?"

He quickly turned his gaze to look at the lady in her usual outfit, leaving Diane alone in silence. "Of course, let's go."

...

They walked under the trees, slowly enjoying the silence they had out of the lively and crowded city. Such private and important conversations were certainly not fitting to be in a crowded place.

Sun shone above them, radiating the heat一thanks to the cool shades of trees, they weren't bothered by the warmth. Her mind couldn't stop trailing to the event happened not too long ago.

"...Thanks for helping me out."

He hummed, quickly answered with, "It's fine. Afterall, we promised to talk yesterday, didn't we?"

She nodded her head, unable to deny or spoke anything else. "I heard about the maid's death," he informed to her, which she nodded reluctantly. "We suspected it's because of she betrayed the deal."

She hummed again, not feeling anything in the slightest bit. She should feel guilty, yet why couldn't she feel it? "Things may go hard for you now. You may be targeted to be the next victim." All Y/n did were nodded, hummed, and stayed silent not until一

"I talked this out with Master Jean, so we decided to give a small protection for you until things are cleared. Anwyll will be discharged next week."