XXXII

The Death Eaters sat tensely around the long table at Number 12 Grimmauld Place. Ten chairs sat on each side, leaving only one empty one at the head of the table, grander than the rest. Walburga Black gently stroked Regulus Black's hand as they waited. Regulus stared ahead blankly at nothing in particular. He wanted so badly to recoil from his mother's cold touch, but he was focused on not making waves.

His cousin Bellatrix sat at the left of the grand, empty chair, twirling her wand in her hand, feet kicked up on the table. She'd send vases flying, then crashing through the room, cackling as each person would jump at the crash. To the right of the chair sat a very bored looking Severus Snape, his cold black eyes scanning the room with disinterest. Across from Regulus sat Lucius Malloy, his nose high in the air and his lips pressed into a thin line.

After what felt like years of waiting, the door to the dining room crashed open, and the pale, cloaked man each Death Eater had been so eagerly awaiting walked in, his face unreadable. A large black snake slithered menacingly behind him. Each member jumped, straightened their posture, and nodded at Voldemort. He looked down at the table with a sniff as he passed by each person. Finally sitting, he cleared his throat as he pet his snake. His chilling, rich voice began to speak:

"Followers. Your Lord is- in need." Voldemort carefully chose his words to achieve the best attention. Several heads snapped up at this, and a trace of a smirk fell over his cruel face. "It seems- fate- has tried to overthrow me with the birth of a child. One who I have reason to suspect, is that of Lily and James Potter." Regulus's eyebrows raised a bit, recalling his brother's good friends. Severus Snape looked slowly at Voldemort, careful to divert his eyes away before drawing too much attention. "Now if I know this, I have no doubt measures have been taken to put them into hiding. It is crucial we find out where so the family can be eliminated." Voldemort spoke calmly, as though discussing a book he just read, but the body to the right of him grew rigid. Snape went pale and his lip quivered slightly.

"Now, this is an assignment for only the most trusted of followers. Someone worthy..." He was cut off by a squealing Bellatrix. She kneeled to him, taking his white hand into her own. "My lord, I would be more than honored to serve you," she pleaded. If Regulus weren't so on edge, he'd laugh at how pathetic she looked. Voldemort shook his hand free of her, as though it had been coated in a disgusting foreign substance. He then swung it back and slapped Bellatrix across the face. The air grew even more tense.

"I'll need none of your groveling Bella, for I've selected the ideal person for the job;" he said smoothly. "Regulus." At the sound of his name, Regulus's head snapped up to meet his lord's cruel, narrowed eyes.

"I believe your brother runs with the Potters, does he not?" "Yes, my lord," Regulus replied, straining to keep his voice even. "Excellent. Then you are to consult him and find out the location of the Potters; by any means you will obtain the information." "Yes, my lord," Regulus said again, with forced determination. "That is all. Begone, all of you," Voldemort said with a dismissive wave of his hand. Each Death Eater began to cross out of the room.

Regulus was halfway out the door when Voldemort called to him. "Any means necessary Regulus," he rasped. Collecting his nerves, Regulus Black turned to face him. "It is an honor, my lord." Bowing to Voldemort one last time, Regulus Black walked out, hands shaking uncontrollably. He rushed upstairs to his bedroom, where he flopped on the bed and began to quietly sob.