"Will your children be joining us at the palace, Catherine?"

"Yes, hopefully by the end of the month, but if the war gets worse I will send them to my sister in Aer."

"How old are they?"

"Giles is eight and Cecily is seven."

"That's wonderful. Do your children stay with your husband Jane?"

"Tobias is off at boarding school, finishing up his education, Marion is visiting her aunt, the Duchess of Combary, learning more about being a woman in society, and Luc is staying with his father."

"You must get so many happy letters from your children."

"It depends on the child."

"Do tell."

"Well, Tobias writes the least often, I think he's found a girl he fancies, Marion's letters are filled with stories about teas and parties, and Luc's well his are filled with his hatred of the prospect of going to boarding school in the fall."

"I could never send a child to boarding school, unless they needed discipline, in which I would send them to my great aunt Mildred; but even that may be too cruel of a punishment for any child."

"How horrid is she?"

"She came to the palace a couple of weeks after the war started, along with my cousin John; Edward had her dragged out of a palace during lunch. The entire time she was here servants avoided her gaze like it was the plague, it's always nagging and insults about how we're not married yet, or don't have children, or about our appearance and how much we're consuming."

"I'm sorry, did you say that your husband had your great aunt dragged out of the palace?"

"I did."

"I don't think he's ever done that before during his reign."

"What was it about?"

"She was going on and on about our lack thereof a child and how John is a no good man because he doesn't have a wife and children yet."

"You married a good man."

"I know I did."

"Wait, but weren't you pregnant at the time?"

"I was, but we did not know it yet."

"When do you plan on telling your aunt?"

"Never, she will figure it out when the birth bells ring across the country and she realises that I gave birth far too early."

"Have you done much preparation for the babe Majesty?"

"I'm afraid not; I went to the nursery the other day and there is so much work that needs to be done. New wallpaper, furniture, bassinet, curtains, the latches on the windows need to be replaced, I haven't even begun to look for clothing and blankets. Honestly, it's a mess."

"Well, Majesty if you would like I have three children's worth of advice and experience I can share with you."

"That would be wonderful, Jane, thank you."

"Have you told your father yet, ma'am?"

"No, it's far too risky to write to him about it; I had to wait weeks for Edward to return from Alther to tell him. It's so hard to keep it hidden though; as far as I know only the council, my personal guard, you three, my three dressers, Phillipa, and Edward know; but so many things are changing it's hard to tell whether or not servants know."

"I am sure that everything will turn out the way it is intended."

"I'm sure you're right, Catherine."

"And I'm sure that they'll grow up to be strong, especially of mind."

"I'm sure that the Wartime Lullabye is helping all that much more."

"The Wartime Lullabye?"

"Yes, it's hard to find something to sing, and it's just so fitting."

"It is, even though it's a bit creepy."

"There's nothing wrong with a creepy lullaby."

"I miss being able to sing my children to sleep."

"Oh yes, that is one of the things you'll miss the most."

"And it only lasts for a few years."

Chatter fills the room as we tell stories and share gossip, with hot tea and pastries filling our bellies. A few short hours of peace, to forget about the hoors awaiting us in the outside world.

A/N: Thank you for reading!