Ohioisonfire

Chapter 3: Ohioisonfire

I was glad Jasmine and I had driven separately to the mall. I really didn't want to drive home with her and listen to her droning on about the evil Austin Carlile again. I'd heard it so many times in the past, I'm sure I knew it by heart. Which makes it so strange that I didn't realize who he was sooner. Chalk that one up to another blonde moment, or maybe, looks really are deceiving.

I managed to get home before Jasmine and I shut myself up in my room. I had some work to do anyway, now that I had a tour to manage. I was apprehensive about managing Of Mice & Men's tour because of Austin. I also didn't really feel comfortable lying to Jasmine, but how could I just turn the job away now? I'm a professional and I can deal with anything that comes my way. I can certainly deal with someone like Austin. And maybe Jasmine won't ever have to find out. Who am I kidding... of course she'll find out. Maybe she'll understand.

I made some phone calls to the band manager and booking agent asking for them to fax or email over certain documents for me. I fell asleep shortly after and woke up to my phone buzzing. I grabbed it and checked it with one eye open. It was a text from Austin.

Austin: Hey! Party's just getting started! Head over before it's in full swing. 722 Main St.

I didn't bother to text back, I had completely forgotten about the party. I hopped out of bed and made my way to the bathroom. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and cleaned my makeup up just enough to not look like I'd just risen from the dead. I changed my clothes into something fresh, and something that I'd normally wear to an event like this.  Not only would I be getting to know these guys, but they would be getting to know me, too.

I grabbed my keys and phone and made my way to the living room where I found Jasmine sitting on the couch watching some new reality show. I cursed under my breath, I was hoping to slip out without her noticing.

"Where are you going?" She asked casually, as I was halfway through the front door.

"Oh, I have some business to attend to." I continued my path to the door.
"Dressed like that?" She raised a brow.
I smiled, "Perks of my job!"

I thought she'd smile, but she remained stone-faced. "Please tell me it's not Austin Carlile's band. You cannot even consider managing a tour for them."
"I'm not giving you any hints on who it is! And I'm not considering this job, Jas. I'm doing it. I need it and you know I wouldn't ever want to damage my reputation for dropping an obviously good opportunity for what seems to be no reason at all." I rolled my eyes.
"How can you honestly justify working for him? He's scum." She said with a hint of anger.

"Jas, would you calm down? I never said it was him! And this is about me. I'm a goddamn professional and I can do this without the mingling of our personal lives. Jesus." I said, actually becoming annoyed with this exchange.
"I'd just prefer it if you stayed away from him." She shrugged, turning her attention back to the TV.
I let out a heavy sigh. "It's not him. I have to go." I said, closing the door behind me. Fuck. I just lied. I've certainly started digging my own grave.

& 

I walked into the rather large sized house filled with unfamiliar people. I felt a little relief upon seeing a familiar face. Aaron.

"Aaron, how are you?" I approached him.
"Ada? What's up! Didn't know you would be here. Want a beer?" He offered almost immediately.
"Yeah, Austin said I should come...." I started a little confused. I figured it wasn't just Austin's idea to invite me, and if it was he would've at least told the rest of the guys.

I followed Aaron into the kitchen.
"He did? Sweet! You got here just in time. Shit's about to go down." He told me, handing me a beer. I looked around at the hordes of drunk and obnoxious people.
"I can tell." I laughed. I had already decided that I liked Aaron. He seemed kind.