Chapter 13: Switch

(I freaking love this book XD I guess a laughing face probably isn't correct for this chapter, but hey, I am entertained.) 

"Okay, we need to talk, Nikolai," Adoni said as he leaned back into the couch, his laptop perched on his legs with multiple tabs open. He'd been researching all day, but the storm outside was making him unable to focus. They always tended to put him to sleep. 

Not right now. Too much to figure out. 

Sasha and Martin had left to go to work, and since he could do his job remotely, for the time being, he'd already taken care of what he'd  needed to do for the day. 

"That just leaves you," he said, seemingly talking to himself, but not. 

The faded outline of a body appeared beside him after several long minutes. It was taking Nikolai a while to reform into a physical appearance. 

He's going to bite me again soon. 

He wasn't looking forward to it. He already had enough injuries. 

"We need to figure out a way to keep you from continuously needing to chew on me," he said to the materializing banshee. 

Stifling a yawn, he tugged his laptop a bit closer and began going through the open tabs again. He still hadn't found a whole lot, but there was one article that was a bit promising. 

I'll take anything positive at this point. 

"I think I found a way to make this less painful, at least," he mumbled before leaning his head back again, then turning it to the side. See-through eyes stared back at him, their original light color nearly faded out of existence. 

Blinking out of a daze, Adon realized that he'd gotten lost in those eyes and Nikolai was waiting for him to say something. Clearing his throat, he glanced down at his laptop and scanned over a few paragraphs to be sure that what he was about to say at least made some sort of sense, then looked back up at the banshee beside him. 

"This might sound... weird, or wrong, or whatever, but this article said that you can stay within my body as long as you consume some part of me on a regular basis," he said, knowing that they both already knew that general bit of information. 

Rubbing the back of his neck as he looked down again, he hissed in a breath before continuing. 

"Well, if blood counts, which is made by my body, along with the water I ingest, then, well, saliva should technically work, too... I think." 

His mind was slightly grossed out by it, since he definitely wouldn't drink someone else's spit, no matter how much he needed to, but continuously being bitten was definitely not something he could manage. 

He looked up to check Nikolai's response to his words, but found himself leaning away abruptly when he noticed that the banshee had moved right up against him. Well, he technically had to always have at least one part of himself fused with his body, but his face was so close that they're noses had almost been touching. 

Leaning one elbow on the armrest, he eyed the guy nervously. He seemed to be processing his words. Of course, he wasn't sure how he would really get the idea through to him. His ability to understand things wasn't all that high. He knew how to stay in his body, which was consume some part of it. That seemed to be as far as his understanding went, or probably, instincts, and that was all he really needed to process. 

When Nikolai suddenly began leaning closer, Adon shrunk back until his back was on the armrest and there was nowhere else to go. 

"Hey, uh, what are you doing?" he asked nervously.