Part 1

Many years ago.

"This is where you'll be staying for a month." A middle aged man announced, wrapping his arm around his daughter's shoulders as both of them stared at a monstrous house gate in front of them.

Karina stared at it in fright. The old brown metal gate was falling off its hinges and it seemed like it had been a very long time since somebody walking through the rusty old gate. From outside the gate, they could see a towering old house that stood forlornly, blanketed in a heavy cloud of mist.

She stepped backward as a sudden chill washed over her body, not liking the view before her.

"Dad, you've got to be kidding me. I have to stay inside that creepy looking house for the whole friggin month?" Karina said with a gulp, taking another step back as she gripped on her backpack tighter.

"This is where I was born, this is your grandmother's house. Before she died she asked me to bring you here atleat once in your life." Her father said in a soothing voice, reaching for her head and stroking her long hair gently.

"But, dad-" Her dad placed a finger on her lips to silence her.

"Only for a month sweetheart. Just for a month. Look, an older sister of your grandmother lives inside that house and four servants live there as well. You won't feel lonely." He said again in a gentle tone, looking at his daughter lovingly.

Karina slowly looked at the old house then back to her father again before she eventually responding.

"Fine." The teen girl mumbled, sighing as she began to step towards the rusty old gate.

Karina was supposed to get married with a boy whom her father arranged her with to be her husband but something beyond her worst imagination happened and her life went upside down. On the day of their engagement, her soon to be husband ran away. People closest to her said that he ran away with his long time girlfriend. Not only that, the business agreement between her father and the boy's father had to be postponed due to the cancellation of the engagement, making Karina's parents to be very busy with their business. Just a day before, her parents were told to go overseas for a business trip and since they didn't want to leave her alone inside their house, they decided to bring her to her grandmother's house and let her to stay there while they're gone. Now here she was, walking towards a scary looking house that stood in the middle of nowhere.

Never, in her entire life, her father even once took her to her grandmother's house and he never told her why but now as she looked at the house, she thought she knew why.

She crinkled her nose as she walked through the gate, gripping her backpack even tighter. The smell, it smelled like cat urine. She wanted to turn her back and ran to her father's car that was parked just outside the gate but she couldn't do it. As much as she wanted to run away, she just couldn't do it as she thought about her father and found herself stepping closer to the old house.

The house was huge, dwarfing her and her father as they stopped for a moment in front of the house, perhaps this was one of the biggest houses she had ever seen in her life but she didn't like it even one bit. It looked very old and scary, like the one she had seen in one of horror movies that she watched with her friends back in Seoul. She wondered why would somebody even lived there.

"Karina." Her father called out in a very quiet tone.

"Yes, dad?" Karina turned her head to her father and looked at him, he wasn't smiling like he always did. Clearly he was going to tell her something serious.

"Promise me that you will never step your foot inside your grandmother's room." His father said, turning his head back to the house, his expression somewhat grim.