I start to move. Okay... this kind of does suck right at this moment.

This quiet seemingly gentle place has turned creepy real fast. Every shadow feels like it stretches out to touch me and everything beautiful or decorative now turns obscure in the fading light.

I ignore the hard shiver down my spine as I head for the steps to the first level. I admittedly go from power-walking to a run fairly quick.

I head down two at a time, the darkness messes with my vision and I roll my ankle like an idiot on the last step. I don't fall however, I catch myself on the railing but I bang into it hard – causing an echo through the whole mansion.

I also heard a snap, and when I look to the railing the wood has broken near the last pillar.

"Ah," I want to swear but I also don't want to. Weird feeling. Can't explain it.

I ignore the incredibly sharp pain to limp to the front door, opening it wide.

Thank god my car was parked close to the front steps, and not down the drive.

"Did you injure yourself?" I almost scream, as I turn to see Claudius walking toward me through the front garden, his dark hair glinting in the moonlight, he's looking concerned but also a little peeved at my presence, and his eyes pierce through mine with questions he wants answered, "Alix? Are you okay? I came to check – it's getting really late... and I saw your car was still here..."

"I'm fine, I just got carried away, it's a beautiful place," I blurt out and try to rush past him, but end up stepping too heavily on a stone and rolling my hurt ankle twice. I can't help but cry out and stop with my arms out either side of me before I drop. I balance and I lift my foot up as I watch Claudius approach.

I try not to cry.

I think the handsome neighbour is going to grab my hand but he just avoids it at the last second, coming to stand in front of me instead.

He overshadows me, and stands too close.

I'm staring at his tunic.

"Go. Slowly," Claudius let's off a straight command, and I have to avert my eyes from the intensity in his drilling through me with his judgement. He really cares that I hurt myself, or he thinks I'm a clutz.

"...slowly..." I just agree, because I'm tired. As I hop forward, he steps aside to watch me go straight for my car.

I had to drive with the foot I rolled.

I realise it as I lean on the car door, sucking in a breath.

I had been so scared, then I injured myself – and now I just felt like an idiot for being so dramatic.

I turn around to apologise to Claudius for coming across as such.

But he's not there.

Again?

I look around. Carefully this time.

"Ah... Sir?" I call out, confused, quietly. Why did I say Sir, "Claudius?" I snap his name, annoyed at his vanishing act.

No response.

I look up. It's almost completely night... but the moon is only a thin crescent, barely giving off light.

When I look back to the porch I see I left the door wide open.

I roll my eyes as I slowly limp my way back over, swearing incoherently under my breath.

I make it up the steps, and I firmly shut the door. As soon as I shut the door, I do a quick check in my bag for my phone, needing the light to head back to the car just to be safe.