THREE

Leaving you on the driveway last night, Arvin felt like his world had stopped and started all over again. The darkness had finally faded and the light at the end of the tunnel was starting to shine through the thick clouds of misery that had blocked out the sun for so long. Feeling your presence, the warmth in your cheeks and the taste of your soft lips, it felt like euphoria. However, not everyone was as excited as Arvin was to here about your return.

As the morning came around again, Arvin's stomach was filled with butterflies and his heart was lit on fire at the thought of getting to see you again. It's like he'd been given a new sense of purpose. Slipping on his clothes, he felt excited for the day, a smile on his face which was a rare sight for his peers. Since being a child, having been traumatised by his daddy, Arvin hadn't been able to find a sense of relief from the nightmares, pain and PTSD that swam through his veins... At least, not until now.

"What's got you all perked up?" Lenora smiled as she saw her older brother bound down the old wooden stairs at breakfast. It had been a while since the young girl had seen her older brother happy, in a state of bliss she might have said when she looked at him. Arvin shrugged his shoulders, a little baby pout on his lips, "nothin'"

"No, no, there's defiantly somethin'" she teased, placing down the plates she was carrying and resting a hand on her hip as she looked at him. Arvin shrugged again, wandering into the kitchen a little shy even, "is it a girl?"

"No!" Arvin defended, although he knew his act was completely see-through. "... Maybe" he smiled, picking at the edge of the wooden table. Just as the silence was about to break, Emma, the sibling's grandmother wandered into the kitchen. She greeted them with a smile and a polite good morning, dressed in her usual flowery dress and apron.

"Arvin's got a little girlfriend" Lenora teased, causing Arvin to blush and open his mouth to tell Lenora to shut up. All of a sudden in that moment, the two became youngsters again, children teasing one another.

"Oh, so who's the little lady?" His grandmother asked, setting the plates out on the breakfast table.

"Well, you remember that Y/N girl, she used to live close by when we were kids?" Arvin told. The two shared a glance between themselves, before turning to look back at Arvin. "We saw her at church just the other day"

"Yes, I remember," Emma nodded, "Shes a good girl Arvy but... ain't she a little..."

"-Dangerous?" Lenora finished for her. Arvin squinted, tightening his brow in confusion and was a little hurt on the inside. He knew deep down inside that it would be hard for the two to accept you for your past sins. Arvin was willing to forget those mistakes and move on with you in the future that for him, seemed bright. But he was expecting Lenora and his grandmother to see the opposite eye.

"She ain't gon' hurt nobody," Arvin said in your defence, "she's changed"

"Then why was that darn preacher all over her just yesterday at church?" Lenora quizzed. Albeit, it did seem a little sceptical that Reneverand was so wound up about your appearance, as far as Arvin and the townsfolk were concerned, you and the preacher had never met before. But Lenora could argue you were both as bad as each other. There was clearly some unfinished business between the pair of you.

"I don't know!" Arvin yelled, getting a little hot-headed at all the accusations being thrown around the room, "can't you just be happy f' me?" he asked, glancing between the two women standing by the breakfast table. When he didn't receive an answer, Arvin picked up his jacket and headed for the door without looking back. He heard Lenora calling, telling him to stop, but he kept walking.

He had to admit, there was doubt. But he was willing to push that aside for you. You were the last person he had from his childhood aside from his grandmother and his sister. The last person his age that he felt he had a genuine connection with. The town had slowly turned to ghost, nothing here for even a moment of entertainment. But then along came you, and suddenly the young boy had purpose again.