ONE

After what had been a long and stressful evening, the morning had finally lifted the curtain of fog and shone out over the stage of a new dawn of a new day. Standing outside the old church of the town, you could smell the faint scent of damp wood and soil that reminded you of home. Although being back in a place where you grew to become the woman that you were, tragic back story or not, you felt more unsafe than you could in the middle of an open field at sunset. The faces that had glanced your way had sent stronger chills down your spine than the blade of a butchers knife. Their eyes cold, with soulless intentions if you were to even think about approaching.

However, from the distance where you stood; under the shelter of a pink blossom tree that had bloomed over the spring, you watched on as the folk from the town entered the church. You'd caught wind that there was a new preacher in town and the townsfolk were gathering in the church to welcome him with open arms and warm hearts. Ironic.

You pull up a cigarette to your perky, soft lips and light the end with a gentle flame as you hear the rustle of cars begin to park not far from the old white building. You had no intention of joining the party, but you were searching for a certain familiar face in the crowd of people. It had been so long since you had seen Arvin, you weren't expecting to be able to point out his face directly, but people don't change completely. It had been more than enough time since you had last spoken face to face or even caught a glance of each other, and deep down inside you feared he may have forgotten your shape of the face and specific features.

A fine breeze caught the tips of your fingers and bit down on the fine show of your skin like a bear trap on the woodland floor. The summer had passed and winter was rolling in like a smooth stone down the brink of a hill, and you were not at all pleased. You enjoyed the winter just as much as you enjoyed any other season, but your heart had been so cold for so long that you didn't need the weather changing too.

"It ain't like you to turn up for a prayer," a voice rang out from beside you. The tone was distanced, not close enough for you to make out who it was, nor did you recognise it. But turning your cheek pulling the cigarette from between your lips, your jaw grew slack as you gazed upon the figure staring back at you.

His crooked nose had not changed, and the left brow had not yet been tamed. He was still the pale boy you remembered from all those years ago, yet not he stood taller and was much more built up. The young boy had turned into a man. "Well, I'll be dammed" you scoffed with a brighter smile, "thought you'da run off with the wind by now, Arvy" you smiled, heart barely able to take in the man that stood before you. Arvin Russell remembered you.

"It's Arvin now" he corrected you sternly, straightening his stance as he looked down a little, "we ain't kids no more"

"Don't remind me" you swallowed, averting your gaze back towards the church, easily a little hurt at his words. Bringing the cigarette back between your teeth, you inhaled a strong breath of nicotine as the church doors came to a slow close and you and Arvin were left on the outside, comforted by nothing but fine silence and a cool breeze. "You make a fine young man these days, quite the looker, ain't ya" you smirked, bringing a smile to his still fine lips.

"You've made quite the fine woman yourself" he commented, a soft glow of a rose blush covering his cheeks.

"I heard about your daddy" you turned to face him, a solemn look on your face. Arvin's smile soon faded too as the cloud of reality washed over the conversation. You had heard about the death of Arvin's father not long after you moved out of town. You sent him letter after letter, but he never wrote back.

"You know I ain't got nothin' ta' do with that, right?" his jaw clenched, leaning forward slightly as he tucked his hands into his pockets. You understood Arvin wouldn't have wanted anything to do with what happened to his daddy, but he was a changed man now and what happened, you didn't know if Arvy had a say or not. "I know what my daddy did," he continued softly, "he was a good man until the end, strong... But just not strong enough"