Chapter 20

It has been hard these past few days. I get home only to have Trace give me the ugliest of looks and all of our conversations lead to the same ending. It feels like we are in a loop of feeling guilty for keeping each other away from what they want to do.

Hell... I want to be there for her. She didn't have the chance to actually have a family to support her and now she is pushing me away trying to take things into her own hands.

"You look terrible," Seth laughs at me, "You okay?"

I nod, "I am fine... maybe a little troubled but nothing that will keep me from working."

He lifts his shoulders, "It is like every time I see you it is always something else," he then opens a pack to smoke, holding it open towards me I shake my head declining his offer, "Well if you want my vote I'd say whatever you are dealing with needs to be handled soon."

"You rate?"

He laughs again, "I know right, pretty shit advice."

I then join in on the laughter, "It was pretty shit but probably as real as it gets. Don't worry about me so much, it is something that I will eventually get over."

"Alright, brother," he flashes me a wide smile as he takes one long pull before tossing the cigarette aside.

After a brief conversation I get back to work, I am not on bartending duty tonight so I will be manning my usual station at the VIP section which is being used yet again... but this time by people I don't mind seeing.

I greet the four of them with wide smiles as I step aside and Ahri gives me a quick hug before slipping past me.

It kinda feels like I am cheating, although I am working I still get the chance to talk with them, which makes everything go a lot faster than usual and that is all I can ask for. Honestly... right now I just want to go home and spend some time with Trace but then I would end up ruining her sleeping schedule we have been desperately trying to fix.

Chris then walks up to me, "Got a minute?"

I then joke, "I got all night, what do you need?"

"Ahri isn't giving me any straight answers so I figured I'd rather ask you. You are tagging along, right?"

I shake my head, "Afraid not."

He furrows his brow, "I don't really understand. I thought you would be chasing after her," he then sighs, "I am not going to try and convince you or anything. I am aware that you have a family to take care of. Whatever happens, take care of yourself... we are about a week away."

I grit my teeth, it has been a while since our fight and these days it just isn't getting any better.

"I know, keep them safe," I say with a defeated smile.

He then disappears back towards them, I still have some time for goodbyes but for now, I just want to pretend... even if it is for a few days. Because at this rate it is all I can do, even now it feels like I am stabbing myself in the back with two difficult situations.

Why do I bother thinking about it? I already decided.

As my shift comes to a close, a few minutes before having to close down the club Evelynn swings by me, "Hey."

"Hey," I greet back, "You look like you are about to say goodbye and you aren't even leaving yet."

She smiles at me, "I know. Just wished that I knew about your situation so that I could have helped with alternatives but Ahri said you were adamant about following through this way."

"Don't worry, if it makes you feel any better I am having a lot of second thoughts."

"It doesn't," she admits, "You were as close as family and I still like to believe that much, whatever happens, make sure to keep contact."

"Is this your goodbye?"

She nods, "I am afraid I might just end up forcing you along," she laughs, "But I shouldn't get in the middle of this... it up to the two of you to do what is next."

She then steps closer to give me a quick hug, she then flashes me a smile before walking down the steps.

"You will be seeing us off right?" Akali asks.

I turn to meet both Akali and Kai'Sa, "I don't plan on missing out on that."

Kai'Sa then smiles, "I am afraid that we might just have to kidnap the two of you to come with us."

Akali's eyes widen, "Actually not a bad idea-"

Kai'Sa furrows her brow at Akali, "No."

I chuckle along with them, "If you do end up doing that I imagine there might be some protest but once we are on the road there isn't a chance I am walking back."

"See, he is also-"

"Stop," Kai'Sa giggles, "Be seeing you, (Y/N)."

The two of them give me a quick wave before they disappear down the steps. Chris passes me with a short wave, peeking my head around the corner Ahri is still sitting down on one of the seats at the personal bar.

I slide behind the bar asking, "Looks like someone is staying for a few extra minutes. Need something to drink?"

She lifts her glass with a giggle, "Not tonight barman. Well, I don't think the drinks will help me clear my head but they sure as hell keep me busy."

I chuckle, "That so? Guess it is almost time."

She nods, her smile disappearing, "It is almost time."

I let out a sigh, "Did we make the most of the time we had?" I ask the question although it felt almost stupid, for me the answer is no... we didn't make the most of it.

"I don't think so..." she then looks up at me, "I don't expect you to wait for me."

I then grab her hands, "It's just a year. It won't be like we will be out of each other's reach forever and I will do my best to keep in contact despite the time zones."

She smiles as she looks down at her hands, "Then you will have another sleeping schedule to worry about."

"Least of my worries," I state, "There have been lower points in my life and I pushed through... but I will wait for you. I don't expect the same from you either but when you come back I will be here."

She pushes herself off the counter, walking around to wrap her arms around me, "I don't want to say goodbye."

"You don't have to," I smile to myself, "Instead we can say until next time and wait for the day we meet again."

She giggles as she rubs her eyes with her palms, "Look at us, acting like this is the last time we might see each other as if we are some form of fated lovers," she then sniffles, "And here I am busy crying my eyes out."

I lift my hand, brushing aside the hair in her face as she rests her hand in my face, "You are as beautiful as the day we met, if not more."

She covers my hand with hers, "Don't say that when I am already in tears," she then closes her eyes, "I wish this moment would last forever."

So do I.