"Aw, would you look at that," She hums mockingly. "A stray dog has somehow found itself in your bed."

Alex rolls his eyes at her words, shifting arrogantly in the bed, the blankets falling even lower on his hips. "Good morning to you too, ice princess."

"Careful pretty boy, your bits are almost on show. You don't want the vagina you're hiding down there on display, do you? You'll get me all worked up."

One of Gwen's many talents is the ability to get under people's skin, especially Alex's. Her words make his eyes narrow, and he opens his mouth to respond, but I interrupt.

"That's enough, both of you." I groan. "Thanks for the coffee, Gwen."

My roommate just rolls her eyes, turning away from both Alex and I, pushing her way into the hallway. I huff, pulling my thick, dark hair free of my hair tie, allowing it to fall down my back, stiff with hairspray.

"Your roommate is a bitch, Ella." Alex complains loudly.

I shoot him a glare. "She isn't just my roommate, she's also my best friend, so watch you better watch your mouth. This argument always ends the same way, so don't even bother starting it."

He puts his hands up in mock surrender, deciding wisely to not continue on with the conversation, well aware of my short fuse and my defensiveness towards Gwen.

"Well, since you're so eager to change the subject, why don't we go back to what we were talking about last time I was here?" He hums suggestively, voice holding a false tone of innocence.

"We talk about lots of things." I respond simply, alluding to the fact that I know the exact direction this conversation is about to head.

"Don't play dumb, Ella. Have you thought about my offer?"

The faux innocence is gone now, and his tone is raw with impatience, also holding a clear note of condescension, making me fold my arms over my chest angrily. 

"I don't need to think about it." I respond sharply.  "I'm not interested."

"Why not? I'm trying to do you a favour-" He argues, but I'm quick to interrupt. 

"Getting me a boring receptionist job at your work isn't a favour, especially considering I've made it very clear that I don't want it. Besides, if you could really see me working at a police station, then you obviously don't know me very well."

"It's good, easy money."

"So is Virtue."

He narrows his eyes at me, jaw clenching in annoyance at the mention of my job. He hates being reminded of how I earn my money, and the fact that it's more than what he makes as a cop-in-training.

"This new job is a great opportunity, Ella. It'll help get you out of the life you're currently wrapped up in." He is choosing his words carefully, but not carefully enough for me to contain my annoyance.

"You mean the stripper life?" I fire back, voice raising. "What? Does me shaking my ass on stage for money aggravate you? Does it get under that skin of yours?"

"You know that isn't anything personal... it just goes against my morals."

"I don't give a fuck about your morals, Alex. You have somehow gotten it twisted, and are under the impression that your opinion has any impact on my life. Well news flash - it doesn't."

"Ella, seriously, you get so worked up over nothing. I'm just trying to have a conversation with you, and like always... you're yelling at me."

I stalk over to my bedroom door then, tugging it open roughly, revealing the hallway.