Chapter 18 - Office

Start from the beginning

"I didn't write it." Sharon pushes a button which stops the restriction on the audio from Bucky's evaluation.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James." The doctor says.

"My name is Bucky."

"Why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?" Steve asks.

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon asks.

"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier." Steve nods.

"You're saying someone framed him to find him."

"Steve, we looked for the guy for two years and found nothing." Sam says.

"We didn't bomb the UN. That turns a lot of heads." I nod.

"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would." Sharon's gaze falls on the evaluator in the screen, her eyes narrow.

Steve frowns and looks around. "Yeah."

Suddenly the lights go out, we all run out of the office as everyone starts to panic. "Sub-level 5, east wing." Sharon points to a door.

I follow the two down a long hall then down a long stair case. We find all the guards in the floor and an open door to Bucky's evaluation room.

I turn as Sam is thrown across the room, I spread my wings to cover my face as he tries to punch me. Instead he grabs my wings and breaks them.

I scream out as punches me with his metal hand and spins me and throws me in Sam's direction.

———————————-

I open my eyes to see I was sitting against the wall in some abandoned building. Sam was standing in the doorway above me, staring at Bucky who was passed out and trapped in a machine.

"Here." Sam helps me up.

I put my wings away and look back at Bucky, "I tried to stitch you back up, the best I can. He tore a couple of your stitches." Sam frowns.

"Thank you." I nod. "He couldn't help it.....he had no control." I nod, seeing him starting to wake up.

"Hey, cap!" Sam yells.

Steve runs in and stands between us. "Steve." Bucky mutters.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?"

"Your mom's name was Sarah...You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." Bucky smiles.

"Can't read that in a museum." Steve says to us.

"Just like that, we're suppose to be cool?" Sam asks.

"What did I do?"

"Enough." I nod.

"Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything Hydra put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words." Bucky looks away.

"Who was he?" Steve asks.

"I don't know."

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup. The doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than I don't know." Steve crosses his arms.

"He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?" I ask.

"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier."

I look up at Steve, sighing and grabbing the bottle of water next to me. I take Bucky's arm out of the machine and hand him the water, wiping the dirt off his forehead. I smile and stand next to Steve again.

"Who were they?" Steve asks.

LTheir most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in Hydra history. And that was before the serum."

"They all turn out like you?" Sam asks.

"Worse."

"The doctor, could he control them?" Steve asks.

"Enough."

"Said he wanted to see an empire fall." Steve looks at us:

"With these guys he could do it. They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize, They can take a whole country down in one night. You'd never see them coming."

Sam steps up to Steve and I, "This would have been a lot easier a week ago."

I sigh, "If we call Tony..."

"No, he won't believe us." Sam shakes his head.

"Even if he did..." Steve sighs.

"Who knows if the Accords would let him help." Sam nods.

"We're on our own." I nod.

"Maybe not. I know a guy."