chapter twelve - the hospital, episode 2

Reaction / November 2019 / 9:29 am

Louis knew how much Harry hated hospitals, so he did his best to keep him distracted. They drifted in and out of sleep for most of the night, their bodies tangled up together between the too-clean, too-crisp, too-white bed sheets in that tiny hospital bed.

The hospital never slept, though. Carts rolled noisily past the room throughout the long night, wheels squeaking and skipping across the tile floors. The nurses didn't seem conscious of the time, either; they spoke at full volume, chatting loudly to exchange important information and snippets of gossip alike.

The nurses poked their heads in to check on Louis a few times during the night, smiling each time when they found Harry still tucked safely under his arm. Sure, visiting hours were long over, but after Louis's conversation with his new favorite nurse, no one quite had the heart to force Harry to leave.

The two boys still slept soundly, even through the noise. They were exhausted, both physically and emotionally.

Louis woke with a throbbing ache in his left side. He groaned, shifting into a more comfortable position. Still mostly asleep, Harry whined in protest; he nestled closer, closing the tiny distance that Louis had created between them. Louis just shushed him gently, tangling his fingers in his younger boyfriend's hair, massaging his scalp soothingly.

It wasn't more than another minute before Harry had drifted back to sleep, his full lips parted and his breathing even. Louis stayed awake. The warm, orange sunlight pouring in through the small window told him that it wasn't too late in the morning, and the doctor told him the night before that he would be able to check out sometime around noon.

He shifted again, wincing at the pain that crept along his rib. Harry didn't even stir this time; he could sleep just about anywhere, as long as he could rest his head on Louis's chest.

"Any pain?"

"Not much. Definitely tolerable. I think I'm due for another round of painkillers before I leave."

"That's right. Does he need anything?" the unfamiliar voice was asking.

Harry was only half asleep. He scrunched his nose when he realized that the person was talking about him, but he kept his eyes squeezed shut.

"He's alright," Louis's chest rumbled beneath Harry's squished cheek. "I think we're both a bit hungry, but I'm supposed to be released in a few hours, so we'll probably get some food then."

"Alright, love. If I can bring you something -- either of you -- just give me a ring."

"Thanks, love."

Harry's lips twitched at the echo of footsteps leaving the room. Louis noticed, of course.

"You awake, sweetheart?"

Harry sniffled a few times, then yawned, a soft whine escaping his throat. He forced one eye open, half-smiling and half-glaring at his boyfriend.

"My sleepy baby," the older boy cooed, threading his fingers through Harry's curls.

Harry couldn't help leaning into the touch, nudging his cheek against Louis's wrist like a puppy asking for more pets. The older boy obliged easily, scratching at his scalp just the way he liked. Harry practically purred.

"Sweetheart," Louis murmured, his lips ghosting over his boyfriend's forehead. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for last night."

Harry shook his head immediately, sweeping Louis's apology under the rug. He nuzzled further into Louis's neck, pressing a kiss to the older boy's pulse point.