Chapter 23

“WAH! COMMANDER —“ I threw the tricorder away in panic and nervously pulled on my hair, trying to think about what to do. I took off my shoes and was about to jump in when Spock came to surface, gasping. “Don’t! I can —“

I let out another panicked yelp. He didn’t even get to finish, what if he dies —  “I’LL TRY TO LOOK FOR SOMETHING TO CUT IT! I’LL BE BACK. I PROMISE!” I yelled, hoping he could hear me even though it wasn’t likely. I was going to run inside the lab when I stopped to yell again, “STAY ALIVE, OKAY? I’LL BE REALLY QUICK!”

I pushed the door open, frantically looking around for anything sharp to use to cut. My hands were getting sweaty and my knees were shaking a lot, it was getting hard to stay standing. “WHAT KIND OF A LABORATORY DOESN’T HAVE ANY — Oh, there we are.” I picked up the knife and ran back outside and, with a slight hesitation, into the water. I took a deep breath before swimming under, trying not to panic so I can hold my breath longer. Spock was struggling to free himself from the vines but it was holding him really tight as if attempting to squish him. I swam down to him and his eyes widened when he saw me. I swam lower to his foot to cut the vines. God fucking dammit, go through, you stupid thing. I thought while I try to cut the many vines.

It almost felt forever and I could feel myself getting so close to passing out before I was finally able to cut the veins. It did not loosen its hold on Spock though so I had to pull us up the surface, which I successfully did with a bit of struggle. “I got you. I got you,” I gasped, dragging Spock away from the water in case there were more of those veins. He wasn’t responding and his eyes were closed so I started to freak out again. “Are you dead?” I asked in panic while I try to find a loose vein that I could cut. The veins wrapped his body so tight that I can’t even find somewhere to cut on, I was afraid I was going to cut him. “Spock, tell me you’re playing dead!”

I randomly cut on the veins near his neck, careful not to accidentally cut him. I already felt like crying and my hands shaking violently weren’t helping me cut easily. He was starting to turn paler so I hurried up even more, finally freeing him in a minute. He still wasn’t waking up so I tried patting his cheeks gently. “Please, wake up,” I cried, performing chest compressions. I stopped after a few pumps, slapping my forehead, “Wait, jesus christ, their hearts aren’t there, you idiot!

“FUCK, I NEED BONES BUT I HAVEN’T GOT TIME!” I hollered in panic. “WAKE UP, SPOCK, PLEASE — God, He’s still not breathing — Spock, please.“ I breathed, continuing to perform CPR. I bent down, and without giving it second thoughts, performed a mouth-to-mouth CPR.

And then I saw him again, not dying though, he was in the small bar of the Enterprise.

I immediately pulled away. It’s happening again — the flashes of random bits of memories. I felt dizzy all of a sudden, but after pulling myself together, I performed CPR on him again, ignoring my light head and the clashing realities. I was watching myself somewhere while at the same time performing CPR in the real time.

“Can you really not feel anything?” I heard myself ask drunkenly, walking closer towards Spock. “Lieutenant, as I’ve told you, we, Vulcans do not —“

“Even when you do something like this?”

I gasped loudly, pulling away from Spock, who luckily, finally woke up. I looked at him horrified while he threw up water and coughed violently. I felt frozen on my spot, watching him in real time and while an overlapping view of myself kissing him was streaming somewhere in my head like an old movie projector — did I — did that really happen? Did I really do that? How was I not fired? What was I thinking —

"No, no, oh my god. Why did I —" I muttered regretfully to myself, rubbing the sides of my head. “Are you okay?” He asked.

My thoughts halted but I continued staring at the Commander in a mix of horror and worry. “Lieutenant?”