Chapter 7: Different

Start from the beginning

But Raux chose to turn a blind eye to this matter.

"I will cook-"

"Don't bother. I must've interrupted your sleep."

"It is fine." He said.

"You sure?" he just nodded in response, more than a dozen words are enough for a day.

"Thank you then."

Odd.

It was odd for the Lady to act that way. The servants were right about her acting slightly differently from how she used to. But of course, Raux kept it to himself. For a quiet man, he tends to think about so many things but fails to voice it out.

On the other hand, Raux scared the living daylights out of Avy who was completely overwhelmed to even say that she was surprised. Fortunately, her heartbeat continued to go on when she knew that he wasn't going to kill her and dispose of her body like what she did that day to the first corpse she had seen in her whole life.

Her heart would not last if she experienced that every day. Watching the back of the man who almost killed her with a knife cooking food for her. Then she realized the clothes she was wearing, finally registered in her mind that she was found out.

"I don't care if you tell this to the Duke. It's not as if he will kill his daughter or anything," she said nonchalantly. She can always order Mariel to buy materials outside for her.

'Oh wait. How about the kid?'

"I will not, miss," Raux answered right away, his voice is forward but still respectful making Avy feel relieved a bit. It seems like he's not the type of person to lie, he doesn't even look like someone who would talk unless he's spoken to.

After a few minutes of waiting, Raux put the dish in front of the hungry girl who looked at it in awe. It was a combination of vegetables that almost looked like a salad but it had chunks of meat and undeniably mouth-watering sauce. It was indeed lavishly prepared.

She was famished, and of course, the food would taste good even if it was not, and Avy is too honest to compliment things that don't suit her standards.

"How long have you been holding a knife? It's exquisite," she praised, mouth half full.

"Twenty-four years."

"You must've started so young."

"I was fifteen when I learned how to cook." Avy was surprised that he started talking more, but she was more surprised that he was already in his forties since he definitely looked young.

"I thought you're just thirty at most, are you sure you're almost forty?" she told him, feeling comfortable because of the delicious food in her mouth. If Lucy was there, she would certainly take videos of her eating like she was starved for a week. Heck, she was devouring the food on the plate like it was cotton candy.

"I am thirty-one, my lady." it only took Avy a short five seconds to get what he meant. And of course, she paused, not only digesting the food but also the information she heard.

Raux has been working with knives ever since he was seven.

'Maybe I was mistaken.'

"It's a strange hobby." she continued eating.

"It was a job, but it is indeed strange."

Avy almost choked on the food after hearing those straightforward words. The former assassin didn't even hesitate to reveal and say something like that. She started hitting her chest and Raux immediately got her a glass of water.