Gay Pride Day- June 1st

*Please note that while homosexuality is used to describe same sex attraction in general, this special will be focusing on that of which is between two people of the male biological sex, or two people who identify as men, boys, guys, etc.
Origins of a Word
       The first recorded use of the word "homosexuality" dates to somewhere around the 1870s-1890s, the meaning of the word is as follows:
      Homo (Derivative of the Greek word "homos" meaning same) sex (either of the two [three] main ways that human beings are categorized based on genetic material and genitalia) uality (which is a suffix used to explain something and/or it's characteristics). When the separated parts "sex" and "uality" are brought back together, they come to mean the capability of sexual attraction. So, if we use our context clues, this arrives us somewhere around the definition that homosexuality indicates a person of one sex being attracted to a person of their same sex.
Homosexuality in History
Note: Some language may be triggering as it may hold sexual nature, this section of the special is meant merely to provide a historical aspect so please be cautious.
      Despite the word that most English speakers use today not being around until the 1800s, homosexuality in itself has been present for quite some time. In nearly every civilization known to man, there has been evidence of the existence of homosexuality.
      In the Kingdom of Lesotho, women practiced long term companionships which usually involved sexual natures.
      In Ancient Egypt, two overseers of the collection of servants who took after the pharaohs hands and feet's for manicuring, were known to have a very close relationship. Khumhotep and Niankhkhnum were buried in the same tomb together and there are several depictions of them in romantic relations in Egyptian records.
    Some of the first laws against homosexuality were made in 1075 BC in what is now known as the Middle East.
     In China, most of the emperors of the Han Dynasty were known to have male lovers.
      In Indian texts, many of the Hinu deities are depicted as having held same sex partners. Mitra and Veruna are shown as being opposite moon phases who would often show affection and attraction to each other.
    For the Celtic peoples, many of the male warriors preferred male partners rather than women, to match their strength and because they were more familiar with their own ways of life.
     Ancient Greece is often known for its early displays of homosexuality, however some of its ways weren't quite as evolved as some have come to known. In Greece, which it is true that men would hold sexual relationships with other men, these relationships would often never hold superiority over the spousal relationship given to man and woman, and most homosexual relations would be carried out between a young man and an older one, rarely between two of the same age. Nonetheless, gay relationships in Ancient Greece were very much alive and well throughout its history.
     Some practices in modern day New Guinea were also very obvious displays of homosexuality. Amongst the Etoro peoples, young boys would ingest the semen of men in the tribes, as it was believed that this would help the boys prosper into adulthood.

 *Khumhotep and Niankhkhnum depictions

*an illustration of Veruna and Mitra (NOT from original Hindu depictions)

Gay Liberation
Gay liberation became large with the arrival of second wave feminism movements, where sexual attraction between men was also brought to light, where masculinity was attempted to be deconstructed and re-identified to include gay men. This movement would merge with the overall goals of the earlier LGBTQ rights movements and lead into the Stonewall Riots which would occur in the late 1960s.

 This movement would merge with the overall goals of the earlier LGBTQ rights movements and lead into the Stonewall Riots which would occur in the late 1960s

*an image from the 1960s of gay rights protests

To all my lovely gay men out there:
I love you and wish you the best this pride month. Please tell me if there is anything else you would like to see added to your special and I will gladly oblige.
With love, Bella. Happy pride loves <3