Chapter 17

In her house, the leader sat, thinking about Ariana. She was good friends with Ariana's parents, and she knew how worried they where about her. She just wished there was some way to bring her home, so that they would feel better, but they had looked everywhere, and there was no sign of her.

     Suddenly, her front door flew open, Ariana running in with Poppy following behind her. Behind them Zenid shrunk down a little to fit through the door, and then placed Branch on the ground, so that he was standing, still looking blankly at the ground.

     "Ariana! You've returned!" the leader shouted with joy, jumping up to her feet, as she ran over to hug her. That's when she noticed Poppy.

     "A pop troll? What is the meaning of this?" she demanded.
"Please ma'am. You've gotta help me. My boyfriend was zapped by one of your ray thingy's twice, and now his brain is melting! Ariana told me you would be able to help."

     The leader turned her attention to Branch.

     "Looks like he's almost at the last stage," she said, not seeming to care in the slightest. "That'll be one less pop troll to deal with, I guess."

     Poppy's eyes widened, as she looked at her in shock.

     "What... no! You've gotta save him!" she yelled, tears in her eyes.
"Please," Ariana said, softly. "You have to help them."

     "You know just as well as I do, the other trolls are not to be trusted. They've hunted us for years."
"Poppy and Branch aren't like that," Ariana objected.
"All of them are the same. I am not risking my life to save one of them, when they would never do the same in return."

     Suddenly, Zenid squealed in fear, all of them turning to face her and Branch.

     Poppy gasped, seeing Branch on the ground, as Zenid nudged him with her nose.

     "Branch!" Poppy yelled, running over to him.

     His face was bluer than normal, as he lay there not breathing.

     "No, Branch. No!" She turned back to the leader, crying. "Please! Save him! Please!" But the leader didn't listen.

     Ariana ran over to try to help, but there was nothing she could do.

     "He's in the last stage," the leader said, softly. "Won't be long now."

     She sat back down.

     "Guards. Dispose of the other pop troll, and bring Ariana back to her family."
"What?" Ariana said, her voice shaking with fear. "No! You can't do this! They shouldn't be punished for what their ancestors did! It's not their fault!"
"Guards!" she repeated.

     Suddenly, two guards ran over, grabbing onto Poppy's arms, as they dragged her away from Branch.

     "No! Branch!" she cried, trying desperately to escape.
"Leave her alone!" Ariana yelled, jumping forewords to rescue Poppy, but two more guards had already come, grabbing onto her, as they pulled her away, out of the building.

     Zenid tried to help, but a net was thrown over her, tangling her up in it.

     "Feed her to the glitter gators," the leader said.

     The guards dragged Poppy towards a hole in the floor, which was filled with water, glitter gators swimming around in it.

     "No! Stop!" Poppy cried, but they wouldn't let go of her.

     Branch lay on the floor, unable to do anything but watch. He had no idea what was happening, or who the pink troll was, but he couldn't help but feel like he knew her.

     His eyes blinked, slowly, his vision blurring, as he ran out of air.

     Memories of Poppy flashed through his mind. He remembered the day they first met. The day he fell in love with her. He remembered everything.

     The guards threw her into the hole, Branch taking a deep breath of air. "Poppy!" he shouted, jumping to his feet, and running to save her.