Chapter 13

Poppy ran to Branch's bunker, stopping, as she saw the hatch open.

     "Oh no... Branch!"

     She jumped through the hatch, riding down the elevator.

     At the bottom, she saw Branch looking at some photos he had hidden on a shelf.

     "Branch?" she said, softly. Branch turned, smiling, when he saw her.
"Hi, Poppifer," he said cheerfully. "Is this where your boyfriend lives? There's lots of pictures of you and him in here."
"Uh... yeah. But we should go now. He doesn't like having people in his bunker."

     She walked over to him, putting her hands on his shoulders to usher him away, but something caught his eye.

     "Wait a minute... that's... that's me..."

     He walked over to a framed picture of him when he was little. Standing next to him in the picture was his grandma.

     Branch smiled down at the picture.

     "And that's my grandma," he said. "I miss her. When is she coming back?"
"Well... I... uh..."
"Wait..." Branch said, suddenly thinking of something. He looked back at the picture confused.

     "Why does your boyfriend have a picture of me and my grandma?"
"Well... you see... he..."

     He looked around, suddenly seeing Crocko sitting on a shelf.

     "Crocko!" he shouted, running over to hug him. "What are you doing here?"

     "Branch... we really have to go." She tried to lead him out, but he wouldn't move. He was busy looking around.

     "That's my dad..." he said pointing to a picture on the wall. "Why is all this stuff here?"

     "Please, Branch. I can't explain it to you right now. We just have to get out of here."

     Suddenly, Branch dropped Crocko, reaching up to hold his head.

     "My head hurts..." he said, closing his eyes.

     "Branch! Please! Just come with me, now!" Poppy cried, as she grabbed his arm, pulling him to the elevator.

     They left the bunker, Branch falling to his knees on the grass, as he clutched his head.

     Poppy turned, dropping down to her knees beside him.

     "Branch. Branch, look at me." She put her hands under his chin, moving his head gently, so that he was looking at her.

     He blinked, and then smiled.

     "Hi, Poppifer," he said, as if nothing was wrong.

     "Are... are you ok?" Poppy asked.
"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?"

     He looked around, confused, as his smile faded.

     "Where are we?" he asked. Poppy looked at him, crying softly.

     "You... you don't remember?"
"Remember what?"

     Poppy shook her head, helping Branch to his feet.

     "Nothing. We need to go now. Come on."

     She grabbed his hand, both of them walking away from the bunker.