Prologue

EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU TO THE AMAZING awesomeismymidname FOR THE INCREDIBLE COVER

"So anyways, he was like: Mae, let's just be friends," I say that sentence in a deeper voice, to mimic a male's voice, though I have no qualms with admitting that it definitely sounded more ghoulish than male-ish.

"And I'm like, dude, I thought we were friends," I laugh, shaking my head slightly. "Like, seriously, why would he think that I would think we were more than friends? It was one date! Actually no, not a date. It was a hangout, because I don't like like him. And I'm the one who paid!"

The man in front of me stares at me, completely confused.

I sigh in annoyance. "What, does that sound like a date to you?"

He doesn't answer me, which I suppose actually does answer my question.

"Kind of mean of you to take his side when we just started becoming friends, but okay," I say in disappointment. "So, should I text him back or no?"

"You're really chatty for a prisoner," The man mutters, crossing his arms.

I frown. "Well, that's super rude. I thought we were having girl talk."

"I'm a four-hundred-year-old vampire," He says slowly. "A four-hundred-year-old male vampire. You, a werewolf, trespassed on my territory, and now you're a chained-up prisoner. Why the fuck would we be having girl talk?"

"One, I'm definitely leaving a vicious Yelp review," I tell him. "This is the worst bed-n-breakfast I've ever been to."

Again, another confused look.

"Two," I continue, "Girl talk isn't just between girls. It's more girl-adjacent. You were supposed to give me your opinion, as a male. I think dating is pretty similar across all species, but since you won't give any advice, I can't confirm that. Hey, do you have the time?"

Frowning, he checks his watch. "It's 2:30."

"Ohhhh," I say, nodding. "Then that brings me to reason three. This was a distraction."

While he processes my word vomit, I drop the illusion and the chains he thought were wrapped tightly around me fall to the floor. Without hesitating, I lunge at him, shoving my claws through his chest.

He gasps, and my grip on his heart tightens, and he bats weakly at my arm.

"You really should have just participated in girl talk," I tsk, and tear out his heart, throwing it to the side.

"Bleh," I say, wiping the blood on my hand on to his shirt. What? It's not like it matters if his clothes are bloodstained.

I dash out of the pathetically small prison, running outside, where I hear wolves snarling and weapons clattering.

Violet, the Princeps Viatorem, tosses me a sword. Not really my weapon of choice, but I'll take what I can get.

I join the Viatoribus, hacking through vampires, careful not to turn my back on any of them. They're too fast to stop from behind, so Rule #1 of hunting vamps is to always keep them in front of you. It's one of the first things they teach you during Viatoribus training.

"The coven leader?" Violet asks, cutting a vampire in half.

"Dead," I confirm, decapitating another. "For the record, he thought it was a date."

"It was," Violet agrees, grabbing one by the throat and throwing him to the ground before plunging her sword in his chest.

Two vampires approach me from both sides, and I put my arm down, resting the tip of the sword on the ground. When they're close enough, I swing my sword in a wide arc, nearly an entire circle, cutting both of them in half.

I pause, feigning horror. "Oh my god, is that a swarm of bees?"

The vampires begin swatting at the thousands of bees they think are attacking them, and while I display the illusion, the Viatoribus quickly finishes them off.

Violet pants, stashing her sword in her leather sheath, and I toss mine to the ground.

"It was not a date."