Chapter 13: Autumn of 1991 (updated: 09/10/22)

Start from the beginning

"What is a dementor doing in Cornwall?" you asked reaching for your wand. You watched as it came nearer and nearer. You looked around, but didn't see anyone else on the street. Penny started to breathe rapidly and you could tell it had locked onto her. You grabbed your wand and shouted "Expecto Patronum!" then watched as the silver tendrils from your wand slowly turned into an eagle and propelled the dementor away. After you checked on Penny and helped her to her feet you mumbled "What just happened?"

"You cast a patronus charm and saved me from a dementor, that's what happened! I can't believe it's so far from Azkaban, what do you think it is doing down here in Cornwall?"

"I don't know, but that's not what I meant, Penny. What happened to my patronus? It's supposed to be a snowy owl."

"But that was an eagle, Kendra." Penny said a bit confused, she had never actually seen your patronus before tonight.

"I know that patronus was an eagle, but it's always been a snowy owl, ever since my dad taught me how to conjure one when I was little. Why did it... how did it change?"

"I remember hearing once that patronuses can change. It's pretty rare, but I think it usually happens after something significant in your life."

"Talbott" you said softly under your breath.

"Talbott? I mean, yeah, he was a significant part of your life, but I don't understand why Talbott would be the reason your patronus changed to an eagle, isn't his patronus a swan?"

"Yes... but he's an eagle animagus. A brown eagle. He never told anyone because he wasn't registered. I'm not even sure if he is registered now... although he did say that he was going to register before starting auror training."

"I didn't know he was an animagus! Why didn't he tell me?" Penny looked shocked.

"He didn't want anyone to know."

"Maybe you should call him."

"I don't know."

"You might not be together anymore, but he still cares about you, I know he does. And if he's training to be an auror, he'll be interested to hear about a dementor attacking us down here in Cornwall."

"Maybe..." you said. You hooked your arm through Penny's and continued walking down the street to your cottage.

***

You were eating breakfast a few days later when your owl, Chouette, came swooping into the cottage with a letter. "Thank you, Chouette" you said as you took the envelope from her beak.

*Penny told me that a dementor attacked the two of you. I'm going to head down there this weekend. I want to make sure that the two of you are safe. -T*

"You told Talbott?" you asked Penny when she walked into the kitchen to make breakfast.

"He deserves to know."

"He's coming down here."

"Ooooh, how exciting, when?"

"No, not exciting, Penny. He's coming this weekend because he wants to make sure we're ok. It's going to be so awkward."

"Only if you make it awkward."

You glared at Penny a moment, then finished your toast and left for work.

***

Friday evening rolled around and you returned from work to find Talbott sitting on the couch talking to Penny.

"Yeah, it was a pretty quick train ride down here" Talbott said.

"Hi" you said a bit sheepishly.

"Hello" Talbott said as he stood up, his amber eyes staring straight into yours. He walked over to you and gave you a tight hug, you could feel the tension in his body leave upon holding you. "I'm glad you're ok" he said as he held you. "Both of you" as he looked back at Penny. He returned to sit next to her on the couch and you took a seat on the large armchair. "So tell me exactly what happened that night."