Chapter 7: Year Five, Autumn (updated: 09/10/22)

Throughout the rest of the summer you received several owls from Talbott a few of which contained his poetry

Throughout the rest of the summer you received several owls from Talbott a few of which contained his poetry. He didn't seem to think they were that good, but you loved them. It was the last week before you returned to Hogwarts when you received yet another owl from Talbott.

*love is about finding someone who is even better to be around than no one.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again next week. -T*

I'm excited to see you again too, Talbott! But one question remained on your mind, what are we? Last year you told Talbott that he was your crush and you invited him on a date, then he asked you to be his Valentine and to be his date to the festival in the spring. He wasn't your boyfriend, at least not yet, but you didn't quite know what he was. And while Talbott opened up to you, you still couldn't read his mind, you were unsure what he thought about your relationship. You put his letter aside and started packing some of your school things in your trunk, you'd have to wait until you were back at Hogwarts to get any answers.

***

The first night back at Hogwarts, you and your friends decided to meet in the courtyard after dinner to catch up. Tonks and Diego played gobstones, Andre and Charlie were discussing their new quidditch schedules, Tulip, Jae, Ben, and Barnaby were playing exploding snap, and you, Penny, Talbott, Rowan, and Badeea sat by the fountain talking.

"Do you guys remember that Rakepick lady who was hanging around the school last year? I heard she's our new defense against the dark arts professor" said Jae.

"Didn't Bill hang out with her a few times?" asked Tonks.

"I think so" said Charlie.

"He wanted to get her advice about becoming a curse breaker. That's what she does, or did, now that she's a professor" you added.

"It seems a bit odd to me" said Talbott.

"What does?" asked Penny.

"She was this big curse breaker and she left it all behind to become a teacher?" said Talbott.

"I heard a rumor about there being a cursed vault at Hogwarts, maybe she took the teaching job to try to locate it and break the curse" said Tulip.

"That's just a rumor, there's no cursed vault. Hogwarts is a school, it wouldn't exactly be safe for students if there was some crazy cursed vault here" argued Rowan.

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in class tomorrow" said Andre.

***

The following day you joined your fellow fifth year Ravenclaws and Gryffindors for defense against the dark arts.

"Attention! Attention students! My name is Patricia Rakepick and I am your new defense against the dark arts teacher. You may have heard some rumors about a curse here at Hogwarts, let me be the first to dismiss it as just that, a rumor. I was asked to take this position because of my experience with curses and dark magic. Your learning up to this point appears to be quite theoretical, be prepared for my class to be more practical. You cannot expect to defeat dark magic through reading alone, you must be able to defend yourself."