"I think...It all just got real," she sniffled, wiping her nose with the back of her arm. "I just...I'm sorry...I don't mean to be an emotional mess."

I sighed and dared to scoot closer to her, wrapping my flesh arm around her shoulders and pulling her in towards me. She allowed me too, dropping her knees and leaning into me. She smelt like fresh soap and wild flowers. "No, doll, don't be. You have every right to be an emotional mess. Just like you have every right to be mad at me."

She tensed at those words, looking up at me. "James, I'm not mad at you. Irritated, yes, but at the situation and that's not your fault. It's the damn Hyrdo people's fault. You were just trying to live your life, which after everything you've been through, you deserve."

I chuckled softly at her mispronunciation. "It's Hydr-ah, doll."

"Oh," she frowned. "Can I just call them assholes?"

I laughed again. "Sure, Jade, whatever you want."

"So we're stuck here all night?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Till we're moved. I promise you'll be a lot more comfortable at the compound. It's like a luxury hotel thanks to Stark. You can even have my room."

"Thanks, but I wont kick you out of your own room. I can sleep on the couch in the common room."

I scoffed. "If my ma' knew that I let a girl sleep on the couch instead of my bed like a proper gentleman then she'd smack me upside the head. I'll sleep on the couch."

She smirked, finally giving in. "Fine...so what do we do now?"

I shrugged, looking around the room. There wasn't much too do in a motel room for a whole day. Nothing appropriate anyway. I found myself thinking back to half an hour ago, after I had told her my story, something that I have never really done and seeing the sincerity and genuine sympathy she had for me. I was surprised at how vulnerable I had let myself be to her and after that she had still touched me, my metal arm at that. I had started leaning in before I realized what I was doing, thinking about how soft her lips would feel against mine, the moment just feeling right. And she had leaned in too, only confirming what I knew already. She liked me. And then Steve had come in and ruined the whole damn thing. He had apologized profusely while she was in the shower, but with a big goofy proud grin on his face before mentioning offhandedly that he had neglected to bring condoms. I had thrown a pillow at him.

"We can....watch television?" I offered.

***

I had forgotten how much I hated day time television. It was all trashy talk shows, judge shows, and commercials for trade schools, but none the less I found myself leaning lazily on some pillows against the headboard, while Bucky sat at the kitchenette table cleaning his weapons. He had lost interest in the television quickly and retrieved the weapons from places that he had hidden them and begun cleaning them silently with equipment from found in his go bag. I was surprised at how quickly and efficiently he had done the first, almost autonomous in his movements, his eyes dark and glazed over as he worked. I thought about asking him to teach me how to use one of them, in case Hydra showed up, but thought better of it. I had put my faith in Steve Rogers to end this and I didn't actually want to touch a gun. I knew I didn't have it in me to really hurt, let alone kill anyone.

There was a loud metallic sound as he finished putting the handgun he had been cleaning together and I looked up to see him watching me with those captivatingly blue eyes. He rose from the chair and walked over to the bed, taking the remote from where it rested near me and muting the Jerry Springer episode I was watching. I didn't say anything, but looked up at him with a curious frown.