Chapter 6: A fateful encounter

Start from the beginning

It took a couple of seconds for it to register in her head, but she still didn't believe it right away.

"No way." she was skeptical, but not until she saw the man's serious expression. She glanced at the child behind her and saw him with the same face too. They were not joking.

"Don't tell me... You're the beastman who attacked hunters yesterday?" she asked, surprised.

Of course, she was shocked, in the novel, beast people are portrayed as evil beings, it was written that they toy with humans and use them like lifeless things for their own amusement.

"Lies. The humans attacked first. Harris was forced to fight back so that we won't get captured to be slaves or worse, get killed for our cores." the child commented, even at an early age he already had resentment visible in his eyes.

'Quite deep words for a kid like him.'  Avy thought before shifting her gaze back to the man.

"So it wasn't you who started the chaos?"

"I was careless. One of the hunters saw my beast form... when we entered the forest.... and started chasing us."

"Aren't you afraid I'm a tattletale? I'm Human."

The man named Harris chuckled softly before speaking. "No, you're not. You're different. I can feel it." he said

Avy stared at him with a deadpanned face "How surprisingly stupid. I really can't understand the people's logic in this world."

"If only that lady didn't show up." she heard the child murmur behind her. Remembering that the novel's protagonist was seen in that forest the day before, his statement piqued her interest.

"Why? Did that lady attack you too?"

The child shook his head. "That lady's ability is special. She's given the divine magic, and it's the enemy of our race. Their life force to us is like poisons are to humans. If she didn't show up, Harris could've fended off those hunters without getting hurt."

'I knew there was a loophole in her powers. Devine Magic my foot. Whoever created that power is racist. All for the sake of the main lead to look good since beast people are said to be villains in the novel.'

"May I ask for your name, my lady?" Harris stated weakly.

"Why do you ask? I'm nothing important for you to know."

"Death is already at my door, I just want to know the lady–"

"Shut it. Stop reminding me that I will be seeing a dead body soon," she said bitterly, standing up from her position and walking to the side to sit, a couple of meters away from Harris.

But it seems like she was bugged by her conscience that she muttered her name per the stranger's request

"A... Avy. That's my name." She said in a low tone but loud enough to be heard by the man.

"I am.... deeply sorry, Ms. Avy." he apologized.

That was the last straw of Avy's patience.

"Screw your opinion!" she retorted, standing up abruptly from being seated on the ground. "I'll go back to my house, it's a little far but I'll run. Just wait for an hour. No. Thirty minutes. I'll get someone." she said, taking her bag and walking past the child.

"He's gone." she stopped in her tracks when she heard those two words coming from the silent boy. She froze.

"What?" she didn't turn around, she was rooted on the spot.

"He's dead."

Avy forcefully chuckled. "That can't be. He was just talking..." she trailed off when she turned to see for her own.