"of course I want you as my crew chief, you're the best I've ever had!" Lightning snapped back.

"then let me be your crew chief. let me be your friend. let me help you." Doc hissed. Lightning looked down at his lap and Doc sighed. "kid I love you alright? and I want to help you, but you have got to stop this. understood?" Doc ask. Lightning sighed slightly and nodded.

"okay. I'm sorry." he mumbled. "I have to get back out there but you're right it's not going to happen without help." Lightning added. Doc let go of his wrist and put the car in gear.

"now be honest with me. would it help you if I keep talking?" Doc ask. Lightning shrugged.

"maybe... I don't know." Lightning mumbled. Doc nodded a little and headed back out onto the butte.

"see honesty. it gets you further than trying to handle everything yourself." Doc said. Lightning nodded a little then looked over at Doc.

"how do I prove Chick tried to kill me?" Lightning ask.

"easy. we get you back out there on that track. you keep your distance, be careful and stay behind him. winning on your first race back isn't going to be important. you know why?" Doc ask.

"no." Lightning said.

"who is the person who always comes in second behind you?" Doc ask.

"Cal. the little Dinoco rookie." Lightning said.

"exactly and who do you think he's going to go after if you're not on your not in the lead?" Doc ask. Lightnings eyes widened.

"Cal." Lightning murmured.

"exactly. so you keep on Chicks tail and you don't let up. you don't let him shake you and you keep an eye on that rookie. if Chick makes a move, stop him." Doc said. "understood?" Doc ask. Lightning nodded.

"yeah... but what if I can't stop him?" Lightning ask.

"you will kid. you'll think of something." Doc assured. Lightning nodded a little.

"sorry I punched Chick earlier." Lightning mumbled.

"don't apologize to me, you're the idiot who bunched someone with a broken arm." Doc snickered. Lightning huffed, looking over at him, a pink tint to his cheeks. Doc chuckled softly and smiled at him. the smile stayed even as he turned back to the track.

"what are you smiling about?" Lightning mumbled.

"we're maxing out at top speed." Doc murmured. Lightning looked over and seemed shocked. they were indeed maxed out, but he didn't feel the anxiety and fear he'd felt before. he felt relaxed like normal. Doc was watching him carefully. he leaned back in his seat and looked around. "so you think you got this?" Doc ask. Lightning looked around before nodded.

"yeah." Lightning mumbled, a hint of a smile one his face. Doc chuckled softly and reached over taking his hand.

"I told you kid, this is easier when you let me help." Doc smiled. Lightning nodded a little.

"yeah but you're not going to be able to-" Lightning said.

"hush. whatever it is, I'll deal with it." Doc assured. "where's your helmet?" Doc ask as he stopped the Hornet. Lightning shrugged.

"I never got it back after the wreck, but I have like 4 suits. Mack said mine didn't survive the crash, that they cut it off at the hospital, but I haven't seen anything about my helmet." Lightning frowned.

"thats fine, we'll throw mine on you until we either find you and get you a new one." Doc said, heading back to town.

"think Chick and his crew will come back?" Lightning ask after a moment. Doc frowned.