Ch.Thirteen

Brooke was babysitting Isla for the day while Esmè was  at her job interview. She knew that Carla wanted her to get used to having a child depend on her.

Brooke looked up as Esmè walked in. Isla behind her. "You excited to have this madam for the day?" She asked.

Brooke nodded. "Yeah. Should be fun. You excited for your job interview?" She asked.

Esmè grinned. "It's not a job interview. It's for me to open my own nail salon. I know Audrey has a salon. But I think I want it to be dedicated to just nails," she said.

Brooke grinned. "Yes. Do I get free nails?"

"Maybe."

***

Brooke was sitting in the flat with Isla. Isla looked at her. "Mummy tells me you have a baby. I baby one time," she said.

Brooke nodded. "Yeah. I'm having a baby. Are you going to help me with looking after the baby?"

Isla giggled and nodded. "Es! I change nappy for you too. I change my dolly nappies!"

"I'll change the nappies. But you can feed the baby for me sometimes," Brooke told her.

Isla frowned. "I no has milk."

"A bottle you plonker."

Isla giggled. "Mummy calls me dat too!"

***

Brooke left the flat with Isla. Nick walked over. "Didn't realise you had the baby," he said.

"Ha ha. No. I'm babysitting while Esmè sees about opening a nail salon," Brooke said as she looked at him.

Nick smiled. "Well does she want to go for a milkshake? My treat."

Isla frowned. "Mummy tells me I no talk stangers," she said.

Brooke laughed and nodded. "Your mummy is right. You can't talk to strangers," she said.

***

Brooke and Nick were sitting in his car. Isla was asleep. Nick sighed. "Have you told your mum it's me who got you pregnant?" He asked.

"No. She'll kill me. And then she'll kill you. And I don't want her to hurt you," she said.

Nick smiled. "No one will hurt me. I promise you."

Brooke sighed. She looked at him. "It's so weird knowing that I'm growing a human inside of me. A person that's going to call me mummy. It doesn't seem real," she said.

"I know. I don't regret what we did. I'm excited to be a father. I'm excited to be a father to your baby. I hope you know that," he said.

"I know."

Nick took hold of her hand and smiled. "We can do this you know. Me and you."

***

Brooke was sitting in the flat again. Isla was playing with her toys. Esmè walked in. "Guess who has the permission to open a salon?" She said.

"Yay! Isla has been golden. She's slept and had milkshake," Brooke told her. She smiled. "Have you seen mum at all?"

"She's up in Manchester. Something about bagging a contract for the factory. You okay? You look pale."

"Yeah I'm okay. I think it's sickness. Is it normal to have morning sickness all the time?"

"Yes. I was literally throwing up all hours. You sure you're okay? You look like you saw a ghost."

Brooke nodded and sighed. But she had no idea that in that moment, everything between her and Nick was about to change.