TWENTY | INK

The ride was cold and awkward. It was a cold feeling that Inkling kept staring at her. He was in the far back, Sera making sure they plopped right on the front of the train, far away where no one could hear her. Putz sat in the back with Felix, Derek alone played his Game Boy while Free monitored each stop of the train, which was automatic.

"Dude, you don't look alright."

"I'm not." Said Putz, looking out the window as if he'd expected scenery.

"Care to talk about it?"

"I just don't think I'm meant for friends..." He sighed. Then he realized what he was doing, clenched his fist and yelled. "What?! And you are?! I saw that fucking breakdown from before, Cod you're pathetic! You're also a psycho! Don't talk to me!" He jumped right off of the seat and blue ink spread in the air until he was an inkling again, sitting at the other end of the train. Iza heard his screaming and looked back, and their eyes met. And he seemed to have turned quiet but his face was utterly unreadable. Then Iza's cheeks blushed in what Putz thought was the most unnatural way, and she immediately turned to Sera.

"What the shell?" He thought. "Are they... a thing?" He was jealous for a quick second but then smiled, staring, trying to get closer. "No way, I have to scope things out..." He thought, grabbing each seat, lifting himself to get closer, and then he had the most brilliant idea.

Ink.

He slithered in his ink form until he was right behind them. He felt so deviant, but they'd be arriving soon anyway. But he didn't hear that at all. Instead it was muffling, whispering, and Iza... she wasn't blushing from a crush. She was scared. Her eyes were small, grave, the way she clenched onto the bag. The only thing he heard was the last words Sera said before they stopped at their destination:

"I know what you're looking for. You're not gonna find it."

He was certain for a heart-stopping moment she was talking to him, but she wasn't, he knew she wasn't because Iza was rummaging through her bag like a madman just before. Find what? Before he could ask, the train came to an abrupt halt and blue ink slid down on their shoes.

"Ew! What the shell?!" Screamed Iza, then Putz appeared out of nowhere. 

"Ohh... hi, guys... How's it hangin'?" Her face was plastered with anger and viciousness, yet a sweet smile and change of temperament stopped all suspicion he had for her. He hugged her, but he saw Iza's face. This time he was certain. She was trying to say something. Her lips moved. The sound. H. But then she clenched her stomach and fell over, the bag toppling, contents spilling out. Sera turned and faced her but Putz couldn't read her face from the other side. But Iza smiled suddenly and didn't say a word. It was like she was a silent film.

"Squit!" Felix and Derek rushed. "I've got it."

"No, no, me." Derek said, fighting for a chance of redemption. "We owe it to you, seriously. We'll never do that again."

They apologized so much, she felt so loved, so cared for. Justice triumphed. Almost.

"Alright, we're here. Now, let's make some ground rules."

"YEEEEAH!" Putz screamed, cheering, howling at the roof of the train. "It's game plan time, baby!"

"Haha, remember. We're just scouting things out."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, but as soon as I got the map down, I'm goin' for it."

"Hear, hear! I like your spirit, Putz!"

His smug smile faded when he saw Iza. Couldn't stop looking at her now. And Sera grabbed her by the hand and ran away with her at the end of the train.