Six - What Happened?

I collapsed onto the metal bench, elbows immediately hitting the table as my head fell into my arms. I was seriously considering attempting to get some shut eye during lunch so I wasn't yelled at for doing it in English next period.

I'd probably never be able to fall asleep in the middle of crowded lunch room full of screaming kids and rustling bags, though. There was hardly a chance in hell, considering I could only sleep in my midnight black bedroom, only acceptable background noises being our washing machine or footsteps upstairs. Stuff I was used to.

The only time I'd even fallen asleep in a car - that I could remember - was when I somehow pulled an all nighter due to just not being tired enough over the summer, and then dozed off repeatedly when we drove to the woods for our family camping trip. Or so my dad and sister claimed - I just remember staring out the window and listening to Anthem Pt. 2 on repeat.

But there I was, half asleep across the table from my two best friends, already dead tired. Fucking fantastic.

My mind was raging an internal debate about PE as I slumped into the table. I'd just been informed that we'd be starting our first unit of swimming on Monday. See, I didn't really have anything against swimming, it was just a giant fucking pain in the ass. My hair got screwed and it was nearly impossible to wiggle into my skinny jeans with wet legs.

I was thinking of participating on Monday and Tuesday, when I had gym after lunch and wouldn't have to deal with the acitivitie's after affects at school for long. Hopefully I could pull off hundred percents in the other categories of that class and scrape a B for first quarter. Not that anybody actually cared about PE grades.

"Where's your lunch?" Rian chirped happily across from me, seeming undeterred by the death glare I threw his way once wrenching my forehead off the metal.

"I didn't have time to make one this morning," I replied, ruffling a hand through my hair as I squinted at the couple. Zack was eating what appeared to be a meat loaf sandwich, that I couldn't imagine was still hot by thenm with a very thoughtful look on his face, while Rian chewed on celery sticks straight out of a plastic bag. And, of course, the buzz cut boy was half in his partner's lap. The usual.

Normally, I'd be glaring at a bruised banana with distaste by then. I tossed a banana, orange, and some sort of combination of cookies and chips into a paper bag each morning. Although, I wasn't sure why I always brought the banana; I hate bananas. But it was tradition and it was food, so it was suffice for those days when hunger was mangling my stomach.

But that morning in particular, I'm somehow forgotten to set my alarm the night before and woke up half an hour late. It was either skip doing my hair or cut making lunch. I'd rather starve than go through out the day knowing I looked like shit.

It was strange, 'cause I usually didn't eat breakfast anyways, and therefore hadn't consumed anything since around seven the night before. A full seventeen hours ago, and my stomach had barely growled.

"Do you want some carrots?" Zack offered, holding out a clear container stuffed with neatly stacked carrot sticks.

I shook my head, grinning despite the hunger and exhaustion, because I always knew there was a reason I liked Zack. He's actually really nice. That boy could eat an entire cow, but would happily sacrifice killing his hunger for someone else's happiness.

But I also hated carrots, so that didn't quite help. It's the thought that counts.

"I think I'm good," I replied, dropping my head into my arms once more with a sigh. Of course, since in so incredibly lucky, my jaw somehow managed to perfect a miracle of physics and hit my forearm just right. I winced in pain as the bone connected with my cuts, eyes screwing shut.