II. | SPINE BREAKER

WORD COUNT: 4.8K
TW: cursing, extreme nutrition limitation and exercise, body insecurity, body building.

(Y/N) - your name
(L/N) - last name
(A/N) - anime name
(H/C) - hair color
(E/C) - eye color
(S/C) - skin color
(HI/T) - height
(H/L) - hair length
(H/T) - hair type
(F/C) - fav color
(F/D) - fav drink
(F/F) - fav food
(F/S) - fav snack
(B/T) - body type
(E/T) - ethnicity

"WANNA BE A BALLER,
SHOT CALLER. TWENTY-INCH
BLADES ON THE IMPALA."

— BIG T. | WANNA BE A BALLER

___________________________

"Why do you play?"

He never thought about it like that. Yuji naturally wanted to do things for other people since it was what his grandpa wanted—and out of the kindness of his heart—but to be told that you need to be selfish in order to get what you want?

It was a relief.

"..."

If there was one thing his humiliating loss against Todo, the ace of Kyoto High, taught him, it was that he hated losing. He hated the humiliating 'ooo' of the crowd when he missed a shot, he hated the humbling experience of having his dunks blocked and obliterated, he hated the embarrassing feeling of inferiority on the court when forced to block someone much taller and wider than he is, and most of all, he hated the sticky feeling of the bench against his sweaty uniform.

Once he knew what he hated, the reason for his drive became much clearer—the selfish reason.

"I wanna win."

A smirk embellished (Y/N)'s face, one that told Yuji she found exactly what she was looking for.

"I wanna beat everyone in my path and be the best to ever do it. I wanna make fucking headlines. I want to be the Man of the Year...!"

A title graced upon the greatest and most prominent high school basketball player in the nation like a crown placed upon a tyrant's head, the Man of the Year was a title that signaled a player's accomplishments, growth, and potential to be a figure just as big as Magic, Shaq, MJ, or Lebron James—that was Yuji's goal. Yuji was aiming for Mars, and when everyone on Earth told him he couldn't make it, he decided he would turn into a star instead.