Year 1: On The Run

Year 1181, 10th of Ethereal Moon.

Byleth had not awoken since the events of the fall of Garrag Moch. During these last months she was cared for and kept as the mysterious guest of Prince Dimitri with only a small handful being even allowed near her. Cornelia had not been permitted anywhere near Byleth's room, the prince having grown extremely protective of his now very much vulnerable and sleeping teacher and crush. The only ones he had permitted near it or inside to see her were his former classmates, his right hand Dedue, the head maid and her daughter, and the head butler himself. 

Deep in her slumber Byleth's wounds healed up completely at an inhuman pace that stunned even Dimitri. Within two months she had been declared completely healed. Yet....she hadn't awoken. Little did they know Byleth, deep in her subconscious could feel everything and hear too as she sat on the ancient stone throne that was once Sothis's. There was a change happening, as the mana that had hurt her more then physically was mending. Her strength was increasing. She could feel the flow of mana in the world ever so slowly. 

However chaos and darkness descended faster then Dimitri knew possible as he was framed by Cornelia for the death of his uncle. Tossed into a cell, he once more felt betrayed. Anger burned like the wound to his eye, now forever to be blind in it. There were two things he desired as the winter moon cast a cold glow into his damp cell. Firstly he wanted to keep Byleth safe; she was the only one now beside Dedue he could truly trust in this nest of rats and the only one keeping him somewhat sane as the voices whispered vile things in his ears. The second was to strangle Edelgard and kill her with his own bare hands! 

Dawn came.

Like a criminal or treasonous traitor the blonde prince was dragged to the execution grounds to be beheaded. As he was he tried to look towards the window. "Byleth..."he thought in despair. What would happen to her once he was killed!? The thought of that...that witch discovering her made his blood run cold. That brought some fire into him as he began to struggle and fight back. It seemed to have worked as it had stalled them long enough for Dedue to come in, knock them out rather violently and viciously before setting Dimitri free. "Dedue!?"he yelped in surprise.

"Run! Go grab the professor and run!"yelled Dedue. "I'll do everything I can to hold them off!"

Dimitri felt dismay and wanted to protest, he wanted to drag his friend with him but the look on Dedue's face was adamant that his mind would not be changed. Dimitri swore violently as he ran dodging foes as he went until he reached her room and kicked open the door that had been locked. Some relief took hold seeing she was still asleep and still unharmed as he ran to her side and grabbed a cloak from the closet along with her sword and heaved her onto his back and ran. 

Run away!

Get away!

Hide!

He had to get themselves far away from here as fast as he could as he slipped into a secret passage only the royal family knew about that served as an emergency escape route. He could feel Byleth shivering on his back as he ran down the dark tunnel, carrying her. She whimpered her distress but never woke. Could she sense what was going on? Very likely possible. "I'm sorry Byleth, you must be cold."he thought with a frown, glancing over with his good eye. His injured one was still sealed shut by the wound and swollen an angry red but at least the bleeding had stopped.

Under the cover of shadow he emerged in a snowy forest just outside the capital city of Fhirdiad. But Dimitri couldn't stop he kept running right into the night. Kept going until he found shelter in an old ruins of a small church. Quickly thanks to his time as a student at the academy he found a secret room and hid with Byleth. Clutching her shivering body close to him and wrapping the cloak around them for warmth. Keeping quiet as possible in fear they'd be discovered. He felt a warmth radiantly from Byleth as she whimpered, a glow beginning to cover her and swallowed him like brilliant fireflies. Instantly healing his bruises and the slash wound to his eye dealt by Cornelia. 

Was he imagining things?

He swore he could feel her touching his now scarred eye and could feel a wave of concern and sadness in the healing mana. As if Byleth was asking if he was alright and safe. He gave a small smile as he held her sleeping body closer to him, burying his face in the crook of her neck as he cried. "I promise you, I promise I won't let anyone lay a hand on you Byleth. So please...please come back to me soon."he sobbed softly. Crying for the friend he had lost, crying for his uncle he had lost to that witch. He was nothing more then a man on the run for his life now but at least he had managed to save Byleth this time. He never felt so angry and so furious in such a long time. But despair slithered and coiled at him like a serpent, threatening to drag him down as the phantoms whispered in his ear for blood. However there was a light that seemed to keep them at bay to a degree. Casting a light so warm keeping some what out of the darkness. And Dimitri knew right away that light slept safe, warm in his arms. She was still in her powder pink winter night gown he had gotten her for her birthday just a few months back in Horsebow Moon. He could just imagine his teacher's words right now, "Get a hold of yourself Dimitri!" she probably would chastise him.

"I know Leth, I know. I'll be alright."he whispered with an amused sad smile. Yes, he would protect her for she was all he had now.

..................................................................................

Year 1181, 20th of Ethereal Moon.

Snow fell heavy as a blizzard blanketed the land in a fierce cloak of of white as winds howled. By now Dimitri had been on the run for a few weeks. Taking out bandits and thieves and anybody that so much as got too close to where he and Byleth were currently hiding away in a cave somewhere near the border with the Alliance. The things Dimitri had seen in the slums and more run down parts of the kingdom weigh heavy on his heart as he sat by the fire today on what would have been and should have been a happy occasion. Today he was now eighteen years old. He smiled as he looked over to the makeshift bed of of furs and blankets where Byleth still slept. He knew what she'd say too, "Happy birthday Dimitri!" with that angelic smile. He sighed as he tossed a stick into the crackling fire. He missed her smile and hearing her voice.

But at least he wasn't alone, it made this pitiful existence a little better. It probably would have utterly broke him had he lost Byleth. He then got to his feet and grabbed his silver spear at sensing something. He grabbed the cloak and slipped it on at sensing somebody coming. Sure enough they were bandits. It made his blood boil as he began to see red. They were laughing as they were hauling some stolen coin and a very much stolen horse. For him they were very, very uncomfortably too close to this cave where Byleth slept.

They weren't getting near here.

So with purpose he bolted out into the blizzard as the storm concealed him like a hunting wolf. The thieves didn't know what hit them as one by one they were slaughtered. The snow dyed red with their blood. Dimitri growled, spitting at the corpses as he kicked one aside and took their bags of coin and even the horse back to the cave. With this he could buy some armor and supplies. With the horse he could transport Byleth easier instead of constantly carrying her place to place. It could also carry his things, making the trip easier. This cave though was no longer safe after what he did. They needed to leave as soon as this storm broke.

~.~.~

"We still haven't been able to find her father?"whispered the young mint green haired teen. Thankfully the knights were all asleep so that she and Seteth could get away to talk, letting down their façade. Seteth, no, Cichol could only sigh at his daughter which in this era went by "Flayn" by the humans. This pair were part of an ancient, long forgotten tribe that were the Children of Sothis.

"I'm afraid not Cethlean. But believe me we will find Seiros and Byleth."he whispered. Yes they would find their kin, even if it took a century to do so. After all their race lived a very long time, with lifespans that far outlasted humans. Unfortunately for the father and daughter they had lost the ability to take on their true dragon forms unlike Rhea. All they could do right now was not give up and pray for the two girls' safety.

To Be Continued...