The Law of Averages

Start from the beginning

"Are you... How are you?" he asked, and I hated myself for the concern he was radiating, because it was concern I'd put there.

"Fine, peachy keen, just dandy," I said, and nearly slapped a hand to my forehead.

This whole babbling thing whenever I was nervous was a serious character flaw I needed to conquer if I was going to convince him of anything.

"Really," he said, the disbelief in his tone proving my point. "There's nothing you want to talk about?"

My eyes widened a fraction. I hoped I looked innocent; hell, I'd happily take constipated. "Uh, nope."

"Nothing," he pressed, almost like he was willing the words to come tumbling out of my mouth. "Nothing at all."

"Nothing I can think of. Why?"

My heart was beating so fast I was convinced it was about to call it quits on me altogether. I was even beginning to sweat beneath my arms.

He opened his mouth but nothing came out. I bit down hard on my lower lip, because if I said one more word I would not stop until I'd said them all.

Clearing his throat, he tried again. "I don't know. Sunday –"

"That bell means school has started," came a loud voice just behind me.

I jumped and spun, my cheeks burning like I'd been caught doing more than just talking to my boyfriend. Of course, it had to be Tyson's Chemistry teacher, Mr. Matthews, who'd come across us. He was walking toward us, a leather satchel slung across his shoulder, a laptop tucked beneath one arm, and a travel mug in his other hand.

"If I wasn't running late myself, I'd write you both up." He slowed to peg Tyson with a knowing look. "As delighted as I am that you've taken my advice to put yourself out there a little and make some friends, I'm not going to advocate for you if someone gives you a detention because you're now too busy being friendly to get your ass to class."

Tyson made a noise of exasperation and rolled his eyes at his teacher. "How is it you always find me when I least want to be found?"

"Because I live to be a thorn in your side," Mr. Matthews said with mock sweetness. "Now hustle, people, before I really do write you up."

Sighing, Tyson threaded his fingers through mine and tugged me down the hall with him, even as I sputtered an apology at his teacher. Truth be told, Mr. Matthews would never know how grateful I was that he'd helped me put off an inevitable confrontation.

Luck stayed with me throughout the rest of the day. Classes kept us busy enough that Tyson and I didn't have a spare moment to chat about anything of substance, and then Courtney and I were following Ash to the gym at lunch, where I would meet the rest of the cheerleading squad and Courtney would be an enthusiastic spectator.

Now, while our football team couldn't win a game to save their lives, and our basketball team wasn't much better, the girls had been State Champions three years running. They were led by Priya Laghari, a senior who, like Ash, had been on the squad since her freshman year. She'd been voted captain uncontested; some of the girls had wanted to nominate Ash for the role, but she'd vehemently declined, not wanting the added responsibility.

"I'm one of those people who likes having a social life," she'd said when I found this out.

Entering the school's gymnasium, we trailed Ash over to the far side where the group of girls had gathered on the bleachers. Half of them were cramming food into their mouths, wolfing it down like they were used to eating on the go. I was starting to see where Ash's speedy eating habit came from. The other half were trying valiantly not to fall asleep; emergency cheer meetings obviously took their toll. I noticed one person in particular was missing.