The Law of Averages

Start from the beginning

I started to offer to pay for a professional photographer; it seemed like a quick fix for a small problem, when I caught sight of Tyson heading towards us. My heart galloped in my chest as panic seized me, but I could do nothing else because his bright blue gaze clashed with mine, and something like determination was written on his face.

Oh, shit. This was it. He was about to accuse me of being a liar, and a dismal one at that. I'd have no choice but to come clean and tell him everything –

"I'll do it," I blurted, fully aware I was using this opportunity as a stall tactic. I wasn't proud of it, but it was a necessary evil I was willing to employ.

"What?" Ash and Courts simultaneously. Ash sounded cautiously hopeful; Courtney was eyeballing me like I'd gone off the deep end.

"Sign me up," I said, plastering what I hoped was a sincere smile across my face. "I mean, I'm no expert, but I have the time and I'll do it for free."

Squealing in delight, Ash pounced on me with a hug so fierce it cut off my air supply. A choked breath escaped me, but I wrapped my arms around her and patted her on the back.

"You're the best!" she declared just as Tyson had come up on us. I saw Courtney glance distractedly at him, and then promptly do a double take. She then proceeded to blink at him like an owl with her mouth hanging open, at least until I stuck my foot out and kicked her in the shin.

Courts staggered sideways with a yelp and crashed into him. "Jesus, that hurt –"

She broke off to offer Tyson an apologetic look; he'd grabbed hold of her to keep her upright, and she was balanced on one foot trying to inspect her bruised shin.

"Cramp," she mumbled with a weak smile, right before she shot me a glare. "Little fucker came out of nowhere."

Oblivious, Ash retreated to hold me at arm's length. "The girls were hoping we could start today at lunch, if you're not busy –"

"Perfect!" I may or may not have shouted my reply, and still holding Courtney upright, Tyson gave me an odd look.

"What's perfect?" he asked.

"Your girlfriend," Ash told him, positively beaming. "She's absolutely perfect."

"At least someone thinks so," Courtney muttered, taking a step that was more of a hobble.

"Noah volunteered to take some photos of the cheerleading squad," Ash said, linking her arm with mine. "So, today lunchtime and after school, does that work for you?"

"Absolutely," I said, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see Tyson frown at me. "Should I meet you in the gym?"

The morning bell rang overhead, and people began reluctantly moving towards their home room classes. Giving me an affirmative, Ash squeezed me one last time and bounded off to hers. Likewise, Courtney made a vague comment about needing something she couldn't live without from her locker and bolted.

That left me alone.

In a rapidly deserting hallway.

With my boyfriend.

"Hey," he murmured, closing the distance between us.

"Hiheyhello," I managed, internally cringing as it came out in one garbled word.

Tyson paused about a foot away, brow furrowing as he raked me with a critical once over. His hand came up, fingers brushing my cheek while his thumb swept gently beneath my eye. He was no doubt tracing the bags I was harbouring beneath them.