𝟛𝟘 - ℂ𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕦𝕓𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔻𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕟𝕤

Cherubs floated around the halls and corridors on this day

Cherubs floated around the halls and corridors on this day. Those tiny wings creating a melody when they fluttered that no one could describe, other than the feeling of warmth. The Great Hall too was decorated in fallen rose petals and smelt strongly of scents that differed to each person - not that they realised though.

It was Valentine's Day. Prior to her time at Hogwarts, Ophelia only noted this day as a day of capitalism and superficiality.  The only tradition seemingly kept each year in the muggle world was purchasing commodities to give as gifts. It was a battle to show who could have the most money spent on them. For that reason, Ophelia couldn't really stand the falseness of the day. It seemed things weren't much different here, only that decoration was extremely flamboyant and effeminate rather than low-key.

Breakfast was being served in the theme of Valentine's Day too, every piece of food that could be shaped into hearts was, from toast to butter cubes to pancakes and even fruit. Thankfully Ophelia's usual smoothies were untouched by the Valentine's 'sparkle', so at least the day would start off relatively normal for her. Or so she thought.

Like clockwork, the owls swooped in from the opened windows and began to deliver Mail to their owners. Virginia always stood out from the parliament of owls, her distinctive colours and large size allowing her true beauty to be spotted from a distance. However, today something else was drawing attention to the bird rather than her looks - clutched in her large clawed feet was a sack. Still with grace, the bird hovered above where Ophelia sat until Ophelia unclipped the package.

"What the fuck is that?" Marlene almost yelled the question, if people hadn't noticed the unusually large parcel before they had now.

"I don't know Marls." Ophelia rubbed her cheek against Virginia's head, who had just moved from the table to her shoulder for a perch.

"Open it then!" Alice looked excited by the prospect of a surprise, placing her chin on her hands in interest.

Ophelia pulled open the edge of the brown paper and noticed the corners of envelopes poking out. That is when she realised what they were, her heart skipped a beat before suddenly raising in pace.

"Girls, I know what these are. They're to do with Lia." Ophelia whispered. Each of the four girls faces turned to realisation that this was something meant to remain private.

"Oh my sweet Merlin, FiFi has a Valentine's Day gift!" James had just entered the Great Hall, the second he noticed the parcel on Ophelia's table place he yelled his discovery.

"It's not James." Ophelia attempted to divert James attentions from the parcel, but found herself too concentrated on who was beside him. Remus. "Are you ok Rem?"

"Yeh." Remus answered rather shortly, taking a slow walk, almost flinching in pain each time he placed a foot to the ground. Ophelia was about to offer some sort of support to Remus when an arm reaching in front of her face alerted her to something unexpected. Before there was a chance to process what was happening, everyone around the table watched as James tipped the package on to the table. Stacks of envelopes wrapped in a string flooded the wooden surface, with one note falling loose. Suddenly, Ophelia's brain kicked back into motion and she lurched forward to grab that note before James could take a hold of it.