Part 9

Once we reached the pool, we stood in front of the fence. The fence wasn't tall, if anything it was smaller than me. The real problem was not getting caught. We both climbed over easily.

I hesitated before jumping in. "Do you think it's cold?" I asked Matt. He shrugged and did a cannonball into the pool. The splash made a loud noise and I immediately started laughing. If one of us were to get caught it would definitely be Matt. He swam around a bit while waiting for me to join him. "Cold?" I asked again. He chuckled. "Maggie, it's fine. Just come in," he replied. His clothes were soaked and tightening around his body. I winced before jumping in. The cold water swallowed me before I swam to the surface. "Shit it's freezing!" I shouted, causing Matt to crack up. "You'll get used to it," he said while swimming over to me. My dress clenched around me.

I looked up at the sky. The moon lit up the water and the stars were so clear. The more you stared at the stars, the more stars appeared. I looked over at Matt, only to find him staring at the sky as well. I looked back up. "It's pretty, isn't it," I said with a grin. He nodded. "In Virginia, the stars are almost as clear. It's not the same in LA," he replied. I looked back at him. "You lived in Virgina?" I asked him, clearly shocked. The cold water clung around me. "Yea, that's where I lived with my family before I moved," he explained. "I live in Belle Haven, Virginia!" I exclaimed. "That's right where I lived! Woodbridge, Virginia!" he said back, with the same amount of enthusiasm. "Damn dude! It's a small world after all!" he shouted, making us both laugh.

Suddenly, we heard footsteps approaching. "Is there someone in the pool?" a deep voice boomed. Matt and I looked at each other with our eyes wide. I couldn't help, but let out a small laugh at his face. He covered his hand over my mouth, quickly. "Are you trying to get us killed?" he whispered, which again made me chuckle. I ripped his hand off my mouth. "They're just gonna tell us to get out of the pool," I whispered back. "Okay, well if you take the fun out of the situation. I want to mess with them!" Matt said. "Damn you're good at being normal," I replied, laughing quietly.

We both pulled ourselves out of the pool and ducked behind the fence. "Hello? Is anyone there?" a female voice called. Matt screamed, causing me to jump. I punched him in the arm. "Shut up!" I hissed at him. He laughed and we both waited for the two guards to respond to his yelp. Suddenly, someone cleared their throat from behind us. We both turned and examined the two people standing in front of us. "What are you two doing in the pool after hours?" the woman screeched. I began laughing obnoxiously loud, not knowing what else to do. "Wow, funny story actually. See early this morning, I took a dip in the pool and lost my earring-my diamond earring. I was immediately very upset and called the pool services here and they wouldn't help at all. So naturally, I sent my son, Ben, here to find it for me," I said pointing to Matt. The woman took off her glasses. "This is your son?" she asked flatly. I scratched the back of my neck, awkwardly. Bad call on my part. I should've said brother. "Oh yes. I was just as upset about the earring as my mother was," Matt chimed in, but with a British accent. I held in a laugh, that was dying to come out. "Well looks like we better get on our way, room service awaits," I said before running off with Matt being dragged behind me. Excitement pounded at the pit of my stomach.

Once we had gotten out of their sights we stopped running. "Gee, mom what's the rush?" Matt asked, while panting. I laughed. "Sorry, but when did we become British?" I joked. He joined in on my laughter.