It annoyed Ana, being so bothered by them in her dreams. Because the minute she woke up, they no longer did. It was the old part of her that she tried to bury, the part that was trying to grieve as Ana left it all behind. She wished she could just destroy it all, get rid of the part of her that cared. Things were better to a large extent, but that part still remained inside of her, nor would it ever go away. It was what made her human, what made her love Michael. And she simply couldn't not love him.

His fingers moved like a calm creek against the keys, his eyes dancing across the black and white as the instrument sang to the room. He wasn't sure how long he had been playing, but it had felt like a continuous loop. He glanced up when he hit the last note, his hands removing themselves as the room went silent.

Ana was asleep, her head turned slightly toward him as her eyes fluttered close. Her hand had moved from her stomach, laying out toward him as if she were secretly begging for him to hold it. Her feet dangled slightly off the edge, a loose curl falling over the keys as her lips parted.

He released a quiet sigh, softly closing the piano cover as he rested his elbows on top of it. He sat like that for a moment, just silently observing her face and the peaceful slumber she was in. Oh, how he hoped she was dreaming of beautiful things. Beautiful people deserved to dream of beautiful things, it was only fair.

His hand reached out to her limp, dangling one, slowly caressing her tiny fingers and the indents of her palms. He smiled softly at her nails, or lack of, he noted. It was a habit of hers he had grown to live with, and he could even recall her chewing on her nails when he first met her. Crashing into him, her books falling to the ground and knees scuffing as she looked up to his younger self, and she had brought a nail up to nervously bite. But despite the abuse she had given them, they were still perfect in his eyes.

He stood up slowly, letting go of her hand and making his way around the piano. He scooped his arm under her, lifting her into him with ease as her head lulled to the side. He didn't hold her like this often, never really being given the opportunity. He paused at the door, glancing around the room one last time.

Their room.

Every square inch of it had been a witness to there love, the sound barriers hearing it with their song from the piano. He smiled, looking down on her and giving a dainty kiss on her forehead, finally leaving the room behind him.

~~~

"Jack has been wanting to help me practice for the test." Michael scoffed, fixing his hair in the bathroom mirror before he left for classes. "I keep telling him no, but he won't listen. I'm surprised he's not made us fucking friendship bracelets, yet."

"If I make us friendship bracelets will you wear it?" Ana called from the other room.

"No." He shook his head, smirking when he heard her grumble. He went to speak again, but he rolled his eyes as he turned to stand in the doorway. "Will you please stop that jumping, Anastasia?"

The girl laughed, her hair bouncing up and down as she jumped on his bed, strawberry ice cream in hand. "Why?" She said through a mouthful.

"Because it's annoying." He crossed his arms.

She smiled sweetly, holding out her hands. "Wanna jump with me?"

He scoffed. "Absolutely not. I'm going to class, now come on." He grabbed his things, heading toward the door.

"I'm staying here today." She told him, pausing his actions at the door. "I'm gonna search the library for something new to read. We're almost done with The Great Gatsby."