Chapter 29

"So, what's on the list today?" Morgan asked.

"Well, I'm going to update my rep book, because since I joined the tour my range has grown and some of them I can't sing now. It's not been updated in forever. So, I was going to go through that. Then Ben and I were going out to town. I've got to buy Christmas presents for a few more people." 

"I can't believe it's in a week!"

I sighed. "I can't either. Christmas has come far too quickly this year." 

A knock at the door came and Nicholas stood on the other side of it. 

"Hey, some of us are going Christmas shopping. Wanna--"

"YES! I have to get a few more gifts so I definitely am coming!" I snatched my purse up.  "See you later, Morgan!" 

~~~

"Okay, is that everything?" Ben asked. 

I looked at the sheet music scattered across the floor. "Yes. I think that is all. How many songs did I weed out?" 

Ben looked to the overflowing basket of old sheet music. "Ten songs, I think." 

I groaned. "I only have ten left, then. I have to replace those others." I brushed my hair from my eyes. "This isn't going to be cheap." 

"Have you added Watch What Happens?" he asked. 

"I've had that one in my book since I first heard it."

"Astonishing from Little Women? I know you love that one." 

"Yep." I skimmed through the front index in the binder.

"Don't Rain on My Parade?" 

"Yep," 

"The Wizard and I and No Good Deed?" 

"Yes. Gosh, I need to find more obscure songs." 

"Probably," he agreed. 

"I'm done. I can't do this anymore, my brain is dead. I'll work on this later. Thank you, baby." I kissed his cheek and stood up. 

His phone began to ring and as he took it, he grinned widely. He looked at me after hanging up. 

"That was Mr. C. He knew you'd be with me so he told me to tell you that you're on for Morgan tonight. And I'm taking Zach's place tonight." 

I squealed in joy. I didn't get to play Katherine much, but when I did, I was greatly excited. 

"This is the first time I've worked with Joey as Katherine, I think," I smirked. 

He rolled his eyes. 

I giggled. "You know I love you," 

"Yeah, yeah," 

~~~
"I don't understand. If you were willing to go to jail for those boys, how could you turn your back on them now?" I stared at Joey that night, waiting on his reply. 

"Ooh," the audience groaned. 

He grunted. "I don't think you're anyone to talk about turning on folks." 

"I never turned on you or anyone else." I slashed my arm through the air. 

"No," he said. "You just double-crossed us to your father. Your father!" 

The audience groaned again. 

"My father has eyes on every corner of this city. He doesn't need me spying for him. And I never lied. I didn't tell you everything..." I turned away a little. 

He gripped the railing of the set. "If you weren't a girl you'd be trying to talk with a fist in your mouth."

"I said that I worked for The Sun, and I did. I told you my professional name was Plumber, and it is. You never asked me my real one,"

"I...I..." His eyes pleaded with me. He forgot his line!

I held my hand in front of my mouth, acting angered, but I mouthed his line to him. "What are you trying to say to me, Jack?" I added. 

"I wouldn't think I had to unless I knew I was dealing with a backstabber!" He turned back to me.

"And if I was a boy, you'd be looking at me through one swollen eye!" I made a fist, shaking it. 

He got up in my face. "Don't...don't let that stop you." His statement sounded more like a question. "Gimme your best shot!"

~~~

"I'm so sorry!" he said after the show.  "I don't know what happened, I just blanked!" 

"It's okay, don't worry, I fell a few months ago." I laughed. "It happens."

"Great show tonight, guys!" Mr. C projected. "But, uh, there were a few flubs tonight that will need to be addressed before tomorrow's show. I know Joey, you blanked, so just remember to go over anything that needs to be gone over. Jordan, I saw that fall during Seize The Day. How are you?" 

We all turned to him. He had his leg in a brace. "I'm okay, I've just got to let it rest. It gave out on me." 

"The joys of live theatre," Mr. C chuckled. "You're all dismissed."