Ineffable Assignment

Start from the beginning

The clouds then began to talk, arguing amongst themselves through thunderous groans and growls.

'Are you quite covered?' the angel asked, concern lining his glowing features. 'I can feel something quite... unsettling is about to happen.'

The demon simply nodded and shifted his weight awkwardly under the angel's white wing, his midnight black wings attempting to cover the angel as well.

Weirdly enough, he felt okay trusting the angel.

Then, the clouds' tears began to fall and beat against the wings of the angel and demon, the droplets slowly moving through the fluffy feathers, sometimes sticking like the first drops of dew on the morning blades of grass.

Then, something occurred to the demon.

'Why are you doing... this?' the demon questioned the angel as he raised his voice over the thunder and gestured to the angel's wings, he tried not to flinch at the flashes of lighting that sparked through the sky.

The Principality hadn't given his actions much thought, he was protecting a being that was practically his adversary, he was going completely against the Great Plan and against Heaven and the God, Herself.

And yet, similar to how he decided to give his flaming sword to Adam to protect his beloved Eve along their journey, he couldn't care in the slightest.

And similar to how the clouds began to rush into the sky over Eden, it all happened so fast.

'P-Perhaps, I just... felt like doing... well, this,' the angel replied, his voice wavering between nervousness and confidence all at once.

Not having the energy to protest, the demon just shrugged and quickly glanced back down at the tree in the Garden of Eden.

He had done his job that Hell asked him to accomplish when he clocked in that day.

Go up there and make some trouble. the demon thought silently to himself.

That's what Hell had told him to do and that's exactly what he did, he decided to tempt Eve to take a bite out of the forbidden fruit.

Mission accomplished.

But, why did he feel so... incomplete?

And yet, so... complete when he stood by this angel?

Perhaps, they had both taken a bite out of another forbidden fruit, one that was invisible to even the eyes of celestial beings.

Now, they just had to let the taste settle in.

He decided to ask Mrs. Device next. Adam knew she could explain things better to him. She could explain to him those warm feelings, those soft touches, and how it seemed to make people so ignorant.

Except, as he went into his explanation, as he talked about how he noticed the way the angel and the demon seemed so connected, and as he told her what he had said to them, she began to laugh. Her eyes crinkled, tears springing forward, a blush forming on her tan cheeks. Her grin was wide and tooth filled as she laughed, the tea on the stove long forgotten and cold now.

"You did... what?" she asked, her American accent leaking heavily. She had yet to stop laughing.

"I don't understand," Adam said, fiddling with his hands. "They love each other, don't they?" Mrs. Device tried to sober up, but her cheeks puffed up with another fit of laughter. Adam raised a brow, confused yet again.

"Adam," She straightened out, her face trying its best to turn serious. It didn't work too well, her eyes still leaking with tears, and the corner of her lips still curling upwards. "Love is a complicated thing. It isn't something you can't force on others nor is it something you can force on yourself. What others may see as love can look like something else entirely another." She explained.

Adam's face contorted with confusion as he tried to understand her words. Bringing a hand to his chin, he tried to think. He tried to understand. He tried putting the pieces together.

He looked back up at Mrs. Device, his eyes glittering with determination. "So, they do love each other!" He exclaimed like it was a great revelation.

Mrs. Device snorted, going back into another fit of laughter.

•••

AN: Hope you enjoyed!! Please, go follow digimonandpokemon on tumblr: https://digimonandpokemon.tumblr.com/