Ineffable Assignment

Adam was confused.

He liked to think that a lot of things didn't confuse him. Adam understood a lot, being, well, the Antichrist, the Adversary, Destroyer of Kings, Angel of the Bottomless Pit, Great Beast that is called Dragon, Prince of this World, Father of Lies, Spawn of Satan, and Lord Darkness, understanding kind of came with the job. From a young age, he understood the forces of Heaven and Hell, their qualms, and their comforts. Adam understood the world, and almost everything in it, but there were still a few things that confused him greatly.

He didn't understand much about love, he understood that his parents loved one another, he understood that his neighbors, Mrs. Device and her husband loved each other. The boy could see it in their eyes, the light touches, the warm smiles, and the blush of their cheeks. The understanding that the ones they loved were right there, in their grasp. A part of him watched on in wonder, a part of him wondering if he could ever become so close to someone. He understood that people like them, got married, moved in with each other, and started a family with one another.

So, when two beings who shared those looks, those light touches, and the warm blushes, didn't follow his path of understanding, he became confused. An angel and a demon, sharing those looks of love, exchanging those hidden jokes, their conversations flowing as fast as their wine, a warmth between the two that he could hardly see between his parents sometimes and their unending banter that provided the utmost of entertainment. He could have sworn the two were married.

"Married?" the angel squeaked, a blush creeping up to his ears. He was a rather... flamboyant man. His beige suits always pressed to perfection, his white hair always clean cut and perfectly fluffy, his tartan tie and collar gave him a great sense of pride in his sense of fashion and the tips of his brown shoes perfectly polished. The book in his hands nearly fell out of his grasp in his moment of shock.

"You love him, right?" Adam asked, bluntly, gesturing to the other "man" sprawled out on the couch across from him. The demon's mouth had dropped open, showing off fangs that were only a tad sharper than a human's. The sunglasses on his nose had slipped down, showing off his slitted eyes with the most mesmerizing shades of yellow and golds. His black clothing suited him well, like a miracle. His scarlet red hair was the only other bit of color that was visible, like the sun after a stormy day.

The Angel of the Eastern Gate -Aziraphale- stumbled over his words, finding the only thing he could manage was a pathetic squawk. The Serpent of Eden -Crowley, previously known as Crawly before he decided he needed a change- was in a similar state. His forked tongue flicked about in his mouth.

Storm clouds continued to approach the Wall.

It had been an average day, nothing too out of the ordinary had occurred.

God felt that She had been sitting on Her hands for far too long, She needed to take action and give something that'll really stick with Her more than loyal Principality.

However, as the sky bled darkness and the beautiful shades of blue continued to disappear, two beings stood, wing and wing, feather's brushing up against each other, atop the Wall.

No, the Almighty thought. This isn't part of My Plan.

Eden's first storm galloped under the Heavens and looked down upon the fresh, rich land where it's first humans continued to trek through the desert, hand-in-hand.

'Beautiful, isn't it?' the demon asked, sighing.

'I suppose,' the angel replied as he adjusted himself to better ground himself. 'It's... a new one from the Lord, I must say.'