P2A - Chapter #5: The Bite

Start from the beginning

The teenager then turned his eyes to the tour guide who just introduced himself to the students, listening for a bit. When his eyes roamed around just to admire Oscorp's lab's building, he saw Flash and the bullies in the line-up of the other class. Peter froze for a bit...

Kaine and Annabelle noticed Peter's reaction and looked at his direction. And of course, the older Parker averted his eyes, cursing under his breath. While the redhead looked at the jocks with dead eyes, her hand closing into a tightened fist. She decided to keep an eye on those three for the rest of the trip.

"Now, accompanying us will be none other than Professor Miles Warren himself, the lead scientist of Oscorp's Genetic Division," the tour guide introduced the scientist next to him.

Professor Warren, a greying brunette man with glasses in his late 30s, thanked the guide for the introduction and then greeted the teachers with handshakes and a smile. Afterwards, he looked at Midtown High students and welcomed them, "Good morning! I'm happy to have everyone here in this field trip. I know that some of you are still sleepy, because I can see some heavy eyes from here."

One sleepy student's eyes quickly lit up, earning laughter from others.

Miles chuckled and shook his head amusingly, "I can relate to that, so I understand. I just want to say not to take this too seriously. Try to enjoy the trip. Feel free to ask questions and we will answer them."

Everyone nodded in understanding.

The scientist's casual tone changed to a slightly serious one. "However, please be civilized. As the staff is busy working on the projects," he told them, before reverting back to his original tone, "So far... Any questions? ...No? Let's get in then!"

---

(Two hours later...)

After passing through the second and third floors, the Midtown High group took a break at the lounge on fourth floor. It was slightly noisy, filled with several scientists talking about everyday topics and eating or drinking, while the group would sit on the couches, chairs, or stand against a pillar or the wall. Professor Warren was nowhere to be seen, as he was currently attending some matters. So everyone would have to wait until he returned.

Peter was walking around, close to Kaine and Annabelle, who were sitting on a couch. He was writing down things that the tour guide and the professor had said earlier during this trip on his notebook with a black ink pen. The brunet would pause for a moment, his eyes darting from here to there at the ceiling, trying to remember what the things were. If something seemed wrong, Peter would just scratch it and made a frustrated sound.

From afar, were Flash and his fellow jocks. The blonde jock looked at the younger Parker with malice. He had seen how enthusiastic Peter was earlier–asking questions about science. And it made him grit his teeth. Deep down... he envied the teen for his curiosity and intelligence. For that, he would hurt him. But he had to wait till his friends let their guard down.

An amused smile formed on Kaine's face, as he watched his cousin making notes. For some reason, he loved seeing Peter's enthusiasm despite the fact that science was something he wasn't keen on. The more he looked at him, the more he remembered about yesterday that it caused the smile to disappear... Making him to look down at the floor blankly, sighing silently.

Anna noticed and knew what was going on in her friend's mind. "Hey, K. It's gonna be okay," she said.

The teen turned to the redhead and raised an eyebrow, their eyes meeting one another, "Huh?"

"I know what happened between you and Pete," she confessed, "And I know it's been bothering you... Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Y-yeah, I guess."