THE SOKOVIA ACCORDS

Start from the beginning

"What was that about?" she heard Steve's voice ask her from behind. Turning around, Elizabeth saw Steve, Wanda and Vision approaching her.

"Just coming up with a new name for you," she joked as her eyes went to Wanda for a split second. Enough for her to ask Wanda a silent question, are you okay?

While her head may have nodded yes, her emotions were something else. They were like one big tornado full of guilt and self-hatred. It was enough that when Wanda passed her with Vision by her side, Elizabeth grimaced at her as she tried to relieve her of some pain.

"What does Stark need?" Steve asked as he came to stand beside her as they watched Wanda and Vision walked ahead of them.

"No idea," Elizabeth admitted with a sigh. "But I doubt it's anything pretty."

***

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt," Thaddeus Ross begins as those sitting by the table looked at him expectantly. Across from Elizabeth, Sam and her shared a glance. The two already knowing this was not going to sit well with them.

"You have fought for us, protected us and risked your lives. But while most people see you as heroes," The man continued. As he spoke Elizabeth glanced behind Sam to look at Tony who sat in a chair in the corner of the room, away from the rest of them.

She didn't need her powers to see that he was anxious, she could see it in the way his leg never stopped bouncing up and down the entire time Thaddeus Ross spoke. And that was already a bad sign for her.

"There are some who would prefer the word vigilantes," the man who stood at the end of the table said. The word he used clearly being a toned down version of what some would say.

"And what word would you use Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked with a grim smile at the man, wanting to see where this conversation was headed.

Thaddeus Ross looked down at his shoes for a moment before he spoke, wanting to choose his next words carefully. "How about dangerous?" he brought his gaze back up to meet Natasha's one.

"What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose," he continued, throwing the question back in their faces. "And who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

No one answered him, all of them lost in thought. The Secretary took their silence as an answer and moved to the side, allowing them to see the holographic screen suspended in the air. Pressing a button on a remote, the screen showed clips from all of the fights that had happened with them being the center of all the chaos and destruction.

"New York," Secretary Ross announced the first location as they all watched in silence. "Washington D.C, Sokovia, Lagos." he continued to list off the places showed on the screen as if they didn't know, as if they weren't the ones there.

Throughout all of it, she could feel everyones guilt and shame piling on top of one another. All of it growing with every building that feel and every clip that was shown. When Lagos was shown Elizabeth saw out of the corner of her eyes as Wanda gasped silently and turned her head away.

Noticing this, Steve takes his head off his hand and turns to the man with the remote. "Okay," He said in a clear voice. "That's enough." On cue, the screen went black and everyone let out a sigh.

"For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision," the way the man said it was as if they were children who snuck out of the house in the middle of the night. "That's an arrangement that the governments of the world can no longer tolerate."