Chapter 5 - Undercover

Start from the beginning

"What?"

"Was that your first kiss since 1945?" She asks.

"That bad, huh?"

"I didn't say that." She smiles.

"Well, it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying."

"No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice you've had." She laughs.

"You don't need practice."

Nat shrugs, "Everybody needs practice."

"It was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm ninety-five, I'm not dead."

I lean forward and kiss Steve, when I pull away he looks at me in shock. His eyes widen as I kiss Nat. "Your right...everyone needs practice." I nod.

"I love her." Nat laughs.

"Is this what we do when we are undercover? Kiss?" I ask.

"No....we don't." Steve sighs.

"Either of you have anybody special?" Nat asks. "I'm very curious to know if Y/N does."

"By special you mean a romantic relationship." I nod. "Never had one."

"I'll find you someone." Nat smiles. "Steve?"

"Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience."

"Well, that's alright, you just make something up." She smiles.

"What, like you?"

"I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstances, it's not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I." She shrugs.

"That's a tough way to live."

"It's a good way not to die, though." She nods.

"You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is."

"Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" She smirks.

"How about a friend?"

"Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers." She laughs.

I look at her, confused. "Are we not friends?"

——————————————————-

"This is it." Steve says as we step out of the truck.

"The file came from these coordinates." Nat nods.

Steve sighs, "So did I."

I give him a crazy look, "You were born here? The file I read said you were born-"

"No this camp is where I was trained." Steve chuckles.

"Changed much?" I ask.

"A little." He smiles.

I stand in front of Steve and stare up at him as he spaces out, he slightly jumps realizing I was standing in front of him as Natasha speaks, "This is a dead end. Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."

"What is it?" I ask as he stares at a building.

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks. This building is in the wrong place." Steve opens the lock with his shield and we enter inside, when we turn on the lights we notice it's a Shield office.