Chapter 40: Reward

Start from the beginning

Kaiya took her phone and exited her room to give Oikawa some silence. When she checked who was calling her, her mouth hung open in disbelief - it was Shiota Chiharu. She gripped the phone as if her life depended on it, unsure of why she was calling. She got rejected from her exhibition so why...

"Hello?" She held her breath nervously as she answered the call.

"Hello! This is Miyazaki Kaiya, yes?" Shiota asked.

"Yes, hello!" Kaiya exclaimed.

"Good afternoon! It's Shiota Chiharu..." She laughed, "How are you, Miyazaki?"

"I'm doing well!" Kaiya answered, chewing on her lip from the anxiousness, "How are you, Shiota-san?"

"I'm doing fine... A little stressed but nothing that I can't handle!" Shiota said, "Anyway, I called to tell you that I re-reviewed your portfolio a few days ago..."

"Okay..."

"And, well, I may have overlooked just how much potential you have..." Shiota murmured, "If you're still interested in being considered for my exhibition in June, I'd like to give you a chance to submit another portfolio."

"Really?!" Kaiya gasped excitedly.

"Yes... In this case, I'd like you to submit 3 of your very best paintings by the end of next week..." Shiota requested, "Is that possible?"

"Yes, yes!" She nodded furiously.

"Great!" Shiota beamed, "You know my email. Send it there, and I'll let you know within a few days if anything changes."

"Thank you, Shiota-san!" Kaiya smiled, feeling her heart swell with hope.

"Of course."

"Wait..." Kaiya cleared her throat, "Can I ask why you decided to give me a second chance?"

"Well..." Shiota chuckled, "I saw one of your paintings... I believe it was called Kismet... It was refreshing, to say the least. I figured that if you can create sentimental, thought-provoking emotions in a simple painting, then it might be worth it to give you another chance."

"How... how did you see that painting?" Kaiya asked, puzzled, "It wasn't even part of my portfolio..."

"Your boyfriend showed me... He's quite stubborn..." Shiota laughed warmly.

"My... boyfriend...?" Kaiya's gaze trailed off to her slightly opened door, where she could see Oikawa fixated on his schoolwork, "You mean, Oikawa?"

"Yes... He emailed me, asking to meet up and kept insisting that I made a mistake by not choosing you to be part of my exhibition..." Shiota explained, "He's very persistent... He must believe in your abilities a lot..."

Kaiya blinked, unable to fathom why Oikawa would try so much for some girl like her... She was just... her. She was no one special, so why did he...

"Thank you, Shiota-san..." Kaiya murmured, "I'll be sure to send you my new portfolio at the end of next week."

"I'm looking forward to it!"

After Kaiya hung up the call, she was rendered speechless and motionless. Oikawa didn't tell her about his meeting with Shiota Chiharu, and she wondered whether or not that was on purpose. Nevertheless, she was shaking with excitement and the possibility of an actual future where she could be happy and free to pursue her dreams as an artist. Her second chance was all thanks to Oikawa.

Kaiya strolled inside her room and placed her phone on the nightstand beside her bed. Afterward, she sauntered over to her desk where he was busy scribbling his notes.

"The answer to the first question is 0.0216 moles! That's the new concentration of aluminum sulfate!" Oikawa declared triumphantly.

"Tooru..." She murmured, causing him to look up at her with curious eyes.

"Yeah?"

Kaiya pushed the chair back a bit, causing him to wobble backward.

"W-woah! Kaiya?" He raised an eyebrow as he stabilized himself.

She remained silent, letting her actions speak for themselves. She moved in front of him and subsequently straddled his lap, causing his face to flush with heat. She gazed at him, her heart stirring with affection.

"H-hey..." He held his arms up, unsure of what was happening, "What are you..."

"Thank you, Tooru." She mumbled, leaning forward and tenderly brushing her lips against his.

Oikawa made a surprised, muffled sound, but after a few seconds, he looped his arms around her, pulling her as close as possible to him. He could feel her heart pounding, making his body shiver with thrill and exhilaration. He didn't exactly know why she was thanking him, but he wasn't complaining. Kaiya deepened their kiss passionately as she ran her fingers through his soft brown hair, and he wondered if he was hallucinating this entire situation.

"Why do I feel like I'm being rewarded for something right now?" Oikawa murmured breathlessly.

"Because you are..." Kaiya stated, trying to catch her breath, "Let's go on my bed."

"Kaiya..." He swallowed apprehensively, "I... I don't know if I'm ready for... that..."

"I'm not ready for that... either..." Kaiya blushed, feeling her heart quicken, "I mean, let's take a break from studying and go on my bed so we can be more comfortable."

"Comfortable..." Oikawa bit his lip, his mind hazy with desire.

"Yes..."

Without even giving it another thought, he picked her up and carried her effortlessly, gently placing her on the bed. Before he could even join her, Kaiya grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him down, causing him to flail on top of her.

"Woah!"

"Tooru... Quickly... Kiss me..." Kaiya mumbled, her eyes gleaming with frenzy. She sounded desperate but she didn't care.

"What... what's gotten into you, Kaiya-chan?" Oikawa smirked, colliding their lips together.

She wrapped her arms around his torso and embraced him tightly as their lips danced in sync and with so much intensity that it began to hurt. That didn't matter to either of them though.

"You're the best, Tooru..." Her breath hitched as Oikawa trailed soft, lazy kisses on her neck.

"Oh yeah?" He chuckled huskily, "You're feeding my ego right now, Kaiya-chan..."

"You're amazing..." She sighed contentedly, fluttering her eyes closed as she focused on the blissful sensations that Oikawa's touches were providing her.

"What else?" Oikawa licked his lips, caressing the sides of her body.

"You're a great kisser..." Kaiya murmured, earning a playful smile from him.

"And?"

"You're incredible at volleyball..." She continued, "You're the best setter in the entire world..."

"Your compliments are making me feel so nice, Kaiya-chan..." He teased, intertwining their hands together, "I don't know what's gotten into you but I like it..."

"Shut up and kiss me..." She lurched forward and smashed their lips together, causing him to chuckle roughly.

Oikawa, without breaking their kiss, guided Kaiya so that they were underneath her blanket together. That entire afternoon, they didn't get much studying done.