"you scared?" asked regulus mockingly, making a number of the death eaters chuckle at barty.

"begin," said voldemort and at that, the death eaters all took flight in their black mist and broke through almost every window and when regulus landed, he heard the shooting of spells at every possible angle he could hear.

regulus didn't have a plan, but he did know that he couldn't let them all be rounded up because then it would be harder to free them because if all of them were captured for the dark lord and then they all miraculously disappeared, it would be very strange and suspicious.

"is that all you got, malfoy? is that a wig you're wearing?" asked the undeniable, arrogant voice of his brother sirius.

regulus knew his mouth would get him into way more trouble than he needed to be and he ran to where he could hear his brother's voice. he ran into an office like room and simply used stupefy on lucius malfoy, who's back was turned and wouldn't know it was regulus, and when he fell, he was eye to eye to sirius. the brothers looked at one another but soon a spell flew past regulus' head, narrowly missing him. he turned around and saw remus who approached him quickly.

"i didn't know that was you, mate," said remus apologetically, "since when did you get tall?"

"there's death eaters around the perimeter, but i'm working on an escape plan," said regulus to the two quickly, "just try and stay out of trouble, that means, don't talk shit to the enemy, sirius."

he turned and hurried out the room, in search for summer who he knew was here and he didn't want anything to happen to her, he didn't want anything bad to happen to any of them. there was so much noise, there were spells being fired everywhere and regulus only blocked the ones he nearly got hit by in the crossfire. regulus ran out in the foyer and he looked up to see a wide spiral staircase that lined the wall all the way up, it sort of looked like the one you'd see at a church. there were duels going on all the way up.

"regulus!" called summer, who saw him from across the rather lengthy foyer.

"c'mere!" said regulus, needing to protect her at all costs, she looked both ways, much like crossing a road and began running to him. summer wasn't a fighter, not in this way, she hated stuff like this and she didn't belong in this environment. barty came running out and saw that regulus had turned to help lily up and make sure she was okay.

dumbledore came through the fireplace, presumably, he got the floo network from hogwarts and at that voldemort issued all his death eaters to flee. regulus thought he had went deaf due to the sudden silence and stop of spells and hexes breaking windows and walls. barty didn't move, he raised his wand and looked at regulus who had his back turned to him and aimed.

"sectumsempra!" shouted barty angrily, sending the lethal spell to regulus, who had betrayed the death eater right before his eyes. barty left with the rest of them after his revenge he'd gotten on regulus. but, regulus was sort of stuck where he was standing because of what heard being fired at him.

"regulus," said lily in a panicked voice but regulus didn't need to be warned because he had heard, he closed his eyes, ensured to move lily out of the way and accept the curse but it never hit.

"regulus," said a different voice, it was softer but sounded scared.

"summer," said regulus when he turned and saw the woman slowly dripping to the floor, blood came through the yellow top she was wearing, and dripped down the skirt she had on, "no, it's okay, you'll be fine."

regulus went down to the floor and cradled her in his arms, he moved her hair from her face that wasn't cut at all. he looked down and noticed barty had aimed from her neck to her waist, well, he had aimed for regulus' back but summer had seen it happen and knew, she knew that regulus was more useful than her, they'd need him more. besides, she wasn't going to let anyone hurt regulus, ever.

"don't worry, you'll be fine," said regulus with a nod and an assured tone, but the tears that fell down his face told him the truth, she wasn't going to be okay, "dumbledore, do something."

the elderly wizard looked at the woman and he knew, everyone knew, that she had already lost too much blood. regulus looked at dumbledore and only him, waiting for him to help, but he didn't. regulus scoffed at him and held summer closer, he kept on telling that she was going to be fine but she had went ice cold and chalk white.

"regulus," she choked out, gathering the little strength she had to move his head so he would look at her, "i'm okay, i'm happy. i love -"

regulus watched the life leave her brown eyes that weren't as lively as they always were. he looked at her, waiting for her to finish her sentence, why isn't she talking? why isn't she blinking? why isn't she breathing?

"why- why isn't- why isn't she blinking?" choked out regulus as he shook her a bit in his arms, james watched the scene feeling so incredibly helpless and so incredibly heartbroken, "sirius, she isn't moving, why isn't she moving? sirius, she's not moving."

sirius kneeled next to his brother and put his hand on his shoulder. sirius, and everyone, were in tears themselves, he reached over to summer's lifeless, expressionless face and gently closed her eyes, so they weren't staring up at regulus.

"she's gone," whispered sirius to his brother, "i'm sorry, reg, i'm so sorry."

regulus broke down, completely. he put his forehead onto her's and sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. the group figured he wouldn't want a crowd and so they left, giving their condolences as they did so. sirius and james stayed with him. he didn't talk or look at either of them, he didn't want to, he just wanted her to talk, that was all.

"don't touch her!" bellowed regulus to dumbledore who attempted to move her from his lap, "it's your fucking fault! you didn't help her! i thought you were powerful? i thought you could do anything?"

"regulus, she had lost too much blood," said dumbledore softly, trying to let regulus down easy because he was right, there was no saving summer. however, regulus' hatred for dumbledore only grew from this, he was the one who recruited summer for the order after all. if it wasn't for him, she would be in her flat, safe and sound.

"you'll regret doing this to her," vowed regulus as he held her close, "you and crouch."

- - -

a/n

so, how many of you want me dead? i would put my usual meme but i genuinely don't think any of you are up for a laugh.