Birthday present.

Mom took a seat at the opposite end of the old wooden table and I snapped open the tub of butter and scraped my blunt knife across the creamy yellow substance.

I looked up at her wanting so badly to give her my favourite puppy eyes but instead I focused on the meal I had infront of me. I scraped the surface of the toast just a little bit harder than usual. Then set my knife aside with a little bit more force, tapped the lid back on the butter container and that's when I did it.

I glanced up in the direction of my mother, furrowed my eyebrows just a bit and pout my bottom lip.

"What?"

"So, you're really just leaving on my birthday with not even a present to give to me mom?"

There's was a moment of silence then my mom rolled her eyes, pushed her chair back, which made that familiar squeaking sound on the wooden floors, and walked out of the kitchen.

I sat there wondering if she had just left out of anger from my question or maybe she had been late to her day out and was going already. I put both my elbows on either side of my plate and borrowed my face in my palms waiting for the door to slam knowing mom had left for another couple days.

"Here!" mom walked back into the room and flatted what looked like a piece of paper on the table in front of me. "since you wanted something so bad."

She slid the small paper in front of me so that I could see, but first I just stared at her in disbelief because 10 seconds ago I was planning to go back to bed and home alone for the day again.

"Now I have to go" mom said grabbing her keys and stomping her 5 inch heels out the door.

"home alone again" I whispered under my breath.

I just got up from the table and emptied the rest of my unfinished breakfast into the trash and ran into my room.

You know some normal teenagers are so excited when they get to be home alone. When both their parents leave to probably go on a date. The totally rebellious kids would start a party or go out to a party some would eat whatever they wanted in the house or try on their moms skimpy dresses.

But my mom would leave almost everyday and sometimes wouldn't come back for hours on end, even days, the longest she's been gone was 5 days and when she came back she was surprised I was still alive. When she leaves I'm supposed to be doing my online school but the laptop I've been using broke about a year ago and when I bring it up mom insists that she'll buy me a knew one for Christmas, but of course  she forgot that promise because the next night went to a party and got a concussion.

I always got mad at her for leaving and not caring but I guess she doesn't care either.

I slouched back into my chair, crossed my arms and just thought for a second what she had ever even done for me that I genuinely thanked her for. Nothing.

I brought my eyes to the piece of paper on the table. There was some old cursive writing on it. It was a small A5 piece of paper. I scanned it quickly.

Dear Y/N,
I know that you have never seen me in your life and I am sorry for that. But I have an important job to be at. Hopefully you will be 16 when you're reading this. I hope you will come find me in my huge daddy boss mansion in Florida. Here is my address 69 casino rd. I'll be ready to welcome you into my home and life in the mafia.
Sincerely J.Schlatt