Chapter 5

Sorry about the long wait for the update, folks. A lot has happened. School, all that stuff.

And today's dedication and shoutout goes to @KaraLestrangeRiddle, who is really nice and friendly and all that...follow her!

Thanks.

P.S. If you're also a Divergent fan, please read my Divergent fanfic Quelled!

P.P.S. Here is something that you may or may not find funny...

"Alice Brooklyn Carter-Deakin, extremely friendly, got happier in Jill Kimberly Liana's mother's new openness, pushing Queen Rhian Schreave to underestimate Viola's wintry xylophones – Yours, Zia."

***

I fell asleep during the Sorting.

But when I shut my eyes, green snakes with moving heads appeared in the darkness...

I jerked myself awake again, just in time for 'McDonald, Natalie' to be Sorted into Gryffindor.

I sighed and blinked sleepily at Blaise.

Then I fell asleep again.

Blaise shook me awake a few minutes later. "Jade, the Sorting's over!"

I nodded, listened to the last of Dumbledore's announcements, watched as the food appeared, helped myself to some and started eating.

"Why are you so tired anyway?" he asked me.

I couldn't tell him. The truth was, Father had decided to give me a last-minute Occlumency lesson last night, which I had actually done quite well at. I remembered bringing up the wall almost straightaway.

We had both been extremely surprised, me more so, I suspected.

But as a result, I was now exhausted, and not just from the lesson – my sleep hadn't exactly been peaceful lately.

My thoughts zoomed back to the present.

I shrugged. "Didn't get much sleep last night."

Blaise narrowed and examined me thoughtfully for a few seconds. "Hmm..."

Blaise was smarter than he looked.

Anja turned around to face me. Before, she had been communicating with Alex Johnson, her boyfriend, via some kind of hand signal code that only the two of them understood.

Despite my natural curiosity as to what the two were talking about, I didn't really want to know – I felt like it would contain an awful lot of 'I love you's.

"Jade! Jade Annabel Evans!" Anja yelled, making the whole table stare.

I jumped, then glared at Anja, irritated. "What, Anja Lily Snape?"

Theodore Nott, who was seated two seats down from Pansy, laughed at our childish argument.

I felt my face grow red.

I sighed. Why did I have to act this way around Theodore?

"What class do you have first tomorrow?" Anja continued, as if there had been no interruption.

I looked at the timetable Father had handed me.

Monday, Period 1, Transfiguration.

"Transfiguration," I told her. Both Blaise and Anja nodded in agreement.

"Same."

Blaise groaned, adding, "Ughh...I'm terrible at it."

I smirked. Of course, I wasn't. I had already become an (unregistered) Animagus, so I didn't have much trouble turning myself into an animal, let alone doing it to other objects and animals.