past

Stella

My life began when Harry came into it.

The second our eyes met, everything in the universe shifted. Colors became brighter and all the sadness in the world disappeared. I was never one to believe in love at first sight, but as I stood in front of him that first day, it was like nobody else existed. It was just Harry and me.

We met by accident. He just so happened to be in town for a show that night, I had no idea. I had just started a new job at an office nearby the venue, nothing major, just an entry level position. It was my dream job so any position was a miracle. They could have offered me a job getting coffee for everyone and I would have jumped on it. A foot in the door is a foot in the door.

I was on my lunch break. There was this little pizzeria I loved to go to that sold the best pizza in the city. It was a super hole in the wall kind of place, always empty with super cheap slices. Most people would find the grease that came off the slices disgusting, but I didn't care if they clogged up my arteries, it made the pizza so much better.

The pizzeria was so small, there were maybe 3 tables in total that were all bunched together on the wall opposite the counter. It would be impossible for them to all be filled at the same time since nobody would be able to get up from their chair. The owners were so sweet and would always either give me a free drink or a couple free garlic knots. I would try to pay for them every time, but they wouldn't take my money. Or they would and then the next day Angelo would tell me I paid for my lunch already.

Even on days when I wasn't in the mood for pizza I would go to this pizzeria, just to see Angelo and Tony. They became like a second family to me quickly. Angelo even called me the daughter he never had. They looked like your typical Italian American with dark hair, slicked back hair, gold cross necklaces, and tan skin. Angelo owned the place and Tony, his son, worked for him. Tony's supposed to take over the pizzeria when Angelo retires, which we both know won't happen. Angelo loves that pizzeria probably more than his own son.

It was just a normal Thursday. I left the office to go get a slice of pizza and hang out with Angelo and Tony while I ate. It was a quick walk, maybe two blocks. The first thing that struck me was the amount of people on the block where the pizzeria was. Usually this block is always empty, especially at this time. It was almost as if Angelo's grew in popularity overnight.

As I approached the door, I realized it was mostly girls outside the pizzeria, which was strange. None of them were going inside though, they just were whispering to each other and giggling with their phones out. When I tried the door to go inside, it was locked. I pulled on the door some more to get Tony's attention since Angelo was helping someone inside. Tony saw me and went over, coming to unlock the door and let me in. The second the door opened all the girls crowded closer, but Tony had them all step back while I entered.

He locked the door behind me once I was inside and I could hear the girls complaining behind me that they weren't being allowed inside.

"What did you do this time Tony?" I teased, since he was always a pretty good looking guy. He was only 22 though, so I never thought of him as more than a little brother.

Tony just laughed, shaking his head, "What can I say? The girls love me." he joked back, going back behind the counter.

The only other person in the pizzeria besides Angelo, Tony, and I was a man. Angelo was busy helping him so I didn't bother them. I'm not too big on talking to strangers. Tony glanced behind his shoulder to me, getting a pizza out of the oven. I love when they have fresh pies.

"One or two this time?" he asked, starting to cut the pizza into slices.

"I'll take two. I could use this mob outside as an excuse to be late getting back to work." I answered as I grabbed a soda from the fridge. Sprite, my favorite. When I turned around, I was met with the tall man, his eyes like sparkling emeralds and his hair wild.