Hayden's hand tightened around Nora's. He tugged her forward once more, wanting her to his on his lap so he could wrap his arms around her. But when she moved to sit beside him on the bed, he figured it was for the best.

"What about that bothers you?" Hayden asked as Nora placed his hand on her lap.

"I...I wish I knew when it happened," Nora shook her head, not lifting her gaze. "I always think that maybe if I had heard something then maybe I could have called for help. It was so quiet....."

Hayden didn't know how it was possible for one's heart to break with someone else's pain. He gave up trying to be rational and pulled Nora forward. Before she could protest, he scooped Nora up and placed her on his lap. Her dark hair fell over her shoulder and created a screen between the two. Despite how good her hair smelled, Hayden reached up and swiped back her locks to look at Nora's face.

"What if she suffered?" Nora looked up, her brown eyes teary. "What if she needed help and I didn't hear her."

"You can't let the possibilities of what if weigh you down in life," Hayden said. "It was her time to go. There was nothing you could have done about that. I'm sorry...."

"I know," Nora nodded. "But I don't think I will ever forget how that morning felt like."

"That's why you don't like quiet things," Hayden was tempted to place a kiss on her shoulder. "Because it reminds you of that day?"

Nora slowly nodded. She rubbed a small scar on Hayden's left hand as her lungs timidly learned how to work again. She could feel Hayden's eyes on her as she ran her finger over his little scar.

"What happened here?" Nora asked after some time.

"My aunt was babysitting me one night and I tried to climb over her fence," Hayden said.

Nora's head snapped up.

"What's wrong?" Hayden's arm immediately tightened around her.

"Aunt," Nora said, wiggling out of his hold. "I have to call Aunt Lidia. I had dinner plans with her. She must be worried sick. How long have we been here?"

"A few hours," Hayden frowned as Nora got off his lap.

"A few hours?" Nora's eyes widened. "Shit! I don't even have my phone with me!"

"It's okay, It's okay," Hayden got up. "We can go home and I'll go grab your stuff from the palace."

"Okay," Nora nodded. "I'll come with you. I need to check in with Aunt Lidi-"

"No," Hayden shook his head. "You're not going back to the palace."

"I have stuff to get," Nora arched her brow. "You wouldn't know where anything is."

"All you need is your phone, right?"

"And my laptop, my planner, my external hard drive, my half finished report for Abraham, my spreadsheets, the new security codes."

"You don't need all that."

"Says who?"

"Me," Hayden grew impatient. "I'll just get you your phone and then we can figure out the rest in a few days."

"Few days?" Nora shrieked. "What the hell? How long am I going to be here?"

"I don't know," Hayden shook his head. "But you're not leaving my sight until Kiara is back with Killian. And if not me then I'm going to have either Birdie or my parents keep an eye on you."

"Are you serious right now?" Nora was baffled.

"Completely."

"Hayden...." Nora shook her head to try and understand him. "I have work and family and friends. I can't just hide out here with you."