Ch.5 Green with Envy

Chapter 5

Kiara sat quietly as the nurses and doctors helped her change out of the bloody hospital gown. She took whatever medication they handed to her, let them take blood samples, and didn't make a sound when they carried Dr. Verma's body out of the room.

After several hours, Bram came back into the room and stood by the door. He held the remote firmly in his hand as the nurse adjusted Kiara's pillow.

"Just so you know," Bram said once the woman left the room. "There are two remotes."

Kiara didn't reply. She sat motionless with her hand over her belly. Her heart was too scared to beat and her eyes were too dry to cry.

"Your baby is okay," Bram announced. "Don't pull something like that again."

Once again Kiara said nothing. She had the urge to pull the blanket up and cover herself. She knew it would do nothing. But she couldn't stand the way her skin crawled whenever any of them looked at her belly.

Their eyes were like hungry wolves. They stared at her belly as if she was carrying a prize. A prize they wanted to win at all cost.

Every time Kiara thought about where she was and how alone she was, her chest would tighten and her stomach would turn. She ached to be back with her family. To be in the comfort of her own bed. She wanted her mother's soup. But most importantly, she wanted Killian to hold her.

She wanted him so bad that it hurt her heart every time she thought of him. Kiara would give anything to have him walk through the door and take her away. Just thinking about him made her throat feel as if she had needled running up and down the insides.

"We're going to move you," Bram continued, his cold voice breaking through Kiara's thoughts. "To a different room."

"Why..." Kiara was surprised she was able to find her voice.

"It's time to go to work," Bram smiled. "We need to see what you can do."

Kiara's heart started to hammer in her chest. She felt cold anxiety run over her bones as sweat broke out on her forehead. Her throat was so dry. But she couldn't even think about drinking anything.

Bram didn't wait around. He opened the door and a male nurse in the same ugly green scrub came in with a wheelchair. Kiara gripped the sheets as the man walked up to her and lifted the blankets off her legs.

"Kiara," Bram stepped forward. "Do not be stupid."

Kiara turned to look at the man with her tired and sorrow filled eyes. The nurse hesitated for a second before he lowered himself and unlocked the chains that were around Kiara's ankles.

Slowly, with extreme caution, Kiara sat up. Her eyes flickered to Bram and that remote every other second as the nurse lifted her up and placed her on the wheelchair.

All the wires that were connected to her body tangled. The nurse struggled for a few seconds before Bram stepped forward and held them all up. He clicked his tongue impatiently as if he was on a tight schedule and Kiara was being inconvenient.

"Take her to the lower lab," Bram said to the nurse.

"Alone?"

"Yes," Bram snapped. "She won't do anything."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Kiara," Bram turned the wheelchair. He held up his hand and Kiara's eyes moved with the remote. "You're going to be nice to George, correct?"

Kiara didn't reply. She stared at the man with a blank expression on her face.

"Kiara?" Bram's finger moved closer to the small red button.