Chapter 11 | ⚠ TW ⚠ |

Začať od začiatku

Andrew stopped again.

And I recognized the face I had known for such a long time, but somehow forgotten.

I knew it. I knew it, I knew it. 

I watched our dad knock out the axe from this psycho killer's hand.

But he wouldn't hold up for too long. It just wasn't right. And we didn't have enough time. I had so much to ask our father, and a strong desire to just get rid of Andrew. 

One step at a time.

I frantically searched the pockets of my green hoodie and found a crumpled paper ball. Realization hit. It was the acrostic. It was enough to freeze him for another few minutes. I held it up. "Take a look at this, Andrew," I suggested.

Just as I'd hoped, he turned to look at me in turn. "What's that? Show me, now."

"Are you crazy? Nevermind, of course you are. But no way am I approaching you. I'm going to throw the ball and you can catch it and read it yourself," I snapped. The ball flew through the air and he caught it.

He unfolded it and his eyes scanned the paper and the bolded words. Horrible realization crossed his face and he closed his eyes. "Ah. An acrostic. How extremely intelligent of her. Of course her grieving children would want something like this to remember her by."

And without warning, from his seemingly peaceful stance, he grabbed his axe and almost caught me on the shoulder. I somehow caught his hand, which was dripping with blood, and looked him straight in the eye. However, I knew he would overpower me soon.

A voice crossed the room. "Up to your old tricks, are you Andrew?"

He loosened his hold and I took this time to clonk him on his head with my knuckles. Apparently I was stronger than I thought, because he collapsed. 

Dad, who was preparing to make a move, stared. Jacob bit his lip and beamed. "You did it! You got rid of him. Now we can just hand him over to the police, and mom's spirit will be free."

And yet. They were so very happy, but I knew they were wrong. Before I could object, he started pulling me into the front yard along with dad. "Come on! We have so much to ask you." 

That was true. I supposed I could risk that. We kicked Andrew's body aside and made towards the door.

We settled onto the wet grass (it was pouring outside). "Dad, can you tell us why you ran away and how you came back?"

He nodded. "Yes. Your mother was somehow convinced she was going to die, no matter how much I tried to convince her otherwise. She told me to run if you guys ever told me she was sick. I had to promise her. After all, I loved her more than anything else. So I did exactly that. She told me it was for your good. Eventually, I learned about your new surroundings. Imagine my surprise when I learned you had actually moved in with family friends Andrew and Millie. And better yet, you lived in the house we used to-"

"So that's why you know your way so well around," Jacob interjected.

"Yes, I suppose so. Well, anyways. I knew how much a beard can change someone's appearance, so I created a fake one and put on eye contacts. I was honestly a little shocked when you both failed to recognize me."

I smiled sheepishly. "I suppose we were both stuck in our own worlds, moping around."

He grinned back. "Yep. And you know the rest."

My smile disappeared in an instant. "You guys. Is mom's spirit gone yet?" And as if an answer, she appeared in front of us and vanished in a flash. 

Jacob's eyes widened. "Wait, so we haven't unlocked everything yet?"

I shook my head thoughtfully. Another lightbulb went off. "You don't suppose our job was for us to face Andrew? Maybe it was hers. I've been thinking about this for a while. Jacob, do you think I can contact mom personally?"

Jacob looked taken aback. "But you just did! Mom appeared when you wanted her to."

Realizing he was right, I stood. "Right. So I need to go back upstairs. Andrew escaped. I can feel it."

Dad firmly disagreed. "No way. I've just gotten you back."

"But dad! What if he did escape. You have no idea what danger we're in!" I protested.

"Trust me, I do, which is why I am not letting you go alone."

"Dad, think about it. Who's name did mom mention most with this whole business." 

He stopped. "Yours," he admitted reluctantly. 

"Exactly. So don't you think I have some importance in this?"

"Alright. I suppose so," he concluded. "Be back soon."

Jacob nodded solemnly. "Please, Ev."

I forced a smile. "I'll be right back. I promise."

So, I headed for the door, pushed it open, and looked to the floor on the right. Exactly as I'd expected, Andrew had escaped. Another clunk made me whirl towards the attic steps. He was ascending quickly up them. I had promised Jacob and my dad, the two most important living people to me, that I would be back. But maybe I would. 

So I stopped, and thought one last time. Was this right?  I took another deep breath, stoned myself, and followed.