First Impressions

Long dark puffy clouds loomed over the earth, thunder roared and grumbled. April sighed, she had just rode her bike to the old pine tree forest ,which was a mile away from her small town called Curring. She knew she had to get home before the storm started, but she just couldn't. The pine trees swayed in the wind, motioning her to come in, it's smell comforted her. April looked back at the road one last time, trying to determine if she should stay or go, but in the end she knew she'd stay. Quickly she placed her bike down and grabbed her things, backpack and a jacket, strapping them on she disappeared into the pine trees. She already knew the route practically by heart: go straight, leap over the fallen tree, turn left and so on. April made it half way through the route when she noticed something different.

There, in the middle of her path was a boy, she guessed he was about seventeen or so. He had on mangled clothes and looked pretty beat up. April was stunned, why was there a boy in front of her and clearly in bad shape? Of course she didn't know the answer, but she'd surely have to help him...right? She slowly walked to the fallen boy, and hesitantly rested her hand on his chest to find a beat. When she did they seemed to becoming stronger and faster than the last. The boys eyes popped open as his body shuffled into a sitting position. They stared at each other until April broke the silence, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. Are you okay?", April said rising to her feet, "I saw that you were hurt so I figured I'd help". The still heavily breathing boy looked around nervously then he looked at her with questioning eyes. His puzzled look soon turned to anger as he stood up and said, "You shouldn't be here, you need to leave now!", the boy explained. April squinted her eyes in anger but calmly said, "Yeah you're welcome.". The boy didn't seem amused by her comment and shook his head, "Tsk. All you did was find me, I don't need help from a thing like you.". April was shocked at what he said and become frustrated as the boy turned round and waved his hand at her trying to motion for her to leave. As he turned around though she noticed something, something on his back. There were stubbles, and all around her were a concoction of black and white feathers. Some with blood coating them, the boy also had blood covering his back were the stubbles were.

"What the hell happened here?", April said ignoring the boys order to leave. The boy, still turned around, rolled his eyes and ignored her ignorant question. "Just leave already, you're going to get hurt too!", he said with annoyance. April shook her head and flung her hands in an irritated matter, "I'm not going to leave someone who is hurt alone when their is danger around dude.", she said hiding her attitude. The boy turned his head around and narrowed his eyes while looking at the girls face. She was stubborn. He opened his mouth to give his response but he then felt a sharp pain in his thigh. Looking down he saw the familiar blade as her heard the girl gasp and grab his arm. "Oh my god, we need to go, can you walk?!", she said frantically. "Of course I can.", he said as he ripped the knife out with ease. The boy then grabbed Aprils hand and began to run as fast as he could. Even though April had never seen this boy before around town he surprisingly knew the forest fairly good and soon they were back were she left her bike. "How did you know my bike was here?", April said confused, "Ah, never mind just get on so we can leave.". They both did exactly that and without wasting any time she rode him back to her mom's hotel. April's mom was the manager there and basically ran the whole place with barely any staff so April knew they could hide out there. The whole way there no one talked, the boys attention was focused behind them and Aprils was on the rode. The hotels parking lot had five cars parked outside when they rode in, even though there was twenty rooms. April parked the bike on the rack just outside the lobby's entrance. As she did so the boy walked inside the hotel ignoring April telling him to wait. She quickly snapped the lock around the bike and hurried inside to see the body starring down her cat. His murky eyes stared down the cat almost like he was trying to figure it out. "Um, that's Murf.", April said raising an eyebrow. The boy still looking at the cat said, "It's a what?". April exhaled and rubbed her face in frustration, "His name is Murf and he is a cat. He is the hotels pet cat.", she responded. The boy stopped starring at the cat as it jumped off the counter, instead he looked around the lobby. He leaned over the counter to observe what was going on, nothing of course. Then he walked over to the lounge area and watched as April sat down on one of the sofas, he then did the same thing. April looked at the boy and scanned his body and observed his movements. His breathing was calmer now and as he breathed his whole torso seemed to contract. He was stained with dirt and he was wearing torn cargo pants which had blood on the right thigh from before. His hair was short and his skin was unnecessarily white, the only other physical trait he had was his stubbles on his back. His appearance left many questions as did his curiosity about her cat. Who was this boy?